diy solar

diy solar

New LiFePO4 and Solar

PaulAtreides

Hey Guys, so I'm getting a new RV (my first) and will be making my own lithium battery and installing a solar charge system. I have no plan to install an inverter at this point, but may want to upgrade to a Victron MultiPlus at some point down the road to get 110V from the battery. I'd love to hear any comments/suggestions as I'm new to all of this!

RV Solar Charge System.jpg

My suggestion is to make sure the wiring is set up for upgrade, from one end to the other.(otherwise lots of do overs) It will be cheaper in the long run.

Since you're going with a Victron solar charge controller, I highly recommend you get the Victron BMV-712 or Victron Smart Shunt so you can get the state of charge information. The shunt that is used for those items would go between the BMS and the common bus bar.

Add another bus bar for the positive side. All charge/load devices then connect at the common bus bars.

A battery disconnect switch can come in handy.

There should be a fuse on the wire that goes to the RV 12v system. I'm guilty of not putting a fuse in that position on my trailer, but it's on my list of things to correct.

I currently have a 1000 watt inverter in my trailer, but it is not tied into the trailer's 120vac system. I ran a line from the inverter to a standalone outlet. For my purposes, that works great. I run a coffee maker from that and charge phones and a laptop. Eventually I'll upgrade to a Victron Multiplus.

Also, you need to make sure the converter (120v to 12v)is compatible with your batteries - otherwise it could cause major problems with your battery.

Since you're going with a Victron solar charge controller, I highly recommend you get the Victron BMV-712 or Victron Smart Shunt so you can get the state of charge information. The shunt that is used for those items would go between the BMS and the common bus bar.

I went with the 44 dollar AiLi battery monitor that Will recommended. I'm very happy with its performance. I have a Victron MPPT controller and a Victron DC-DC charger as well as a Victron Smart Battery Sense. I'm generally on board with Victron products but their battery shunt is far too expensive for what it does, IMO.

What kind of RV are you getting? You may find that you're going to have to upgrade your converter so you can charge your battery from shore power and you may also need to add a DC-DC charger so you can charge from your vehicle alternator when driving. Last year I upgraded my truck camper to LiFePo4 (271AH) and 600 watts of solar, and during the process found all the other things I needed to upgrade too.

The last addition was the inverter and I wish I had done that sooner.

What kind of RV are you getting? You may find that you're going to have to upgrade your converter so you can charge your battery from shore power and you may also need to add a DC-DC charger so you can charge from your vehicle alternator when driving. Last year I upgraded my truck camper to LiFePo4 (271AH) and 600 watts of solar, and during the process found all the other things I needed to upgrade too.

The last addition was the inverter and I wish I had done that sooner.
I'm getting a brand new Shadow Cruiser. If they used the WFCO inverter I believe I'm good. If they used Progressive Dynamics, I might have an issue.

It's a travel trailer, so no DC-DC to worry about!

It's the wife I need to convince to get the inverter. I've failed so far, but we'll see how long she holds out ?

I went with the 44 dollar AiLi battery monitor that Will recommended. I'm very happy with its performance. I have a Victron MPPT controller and a Victron DC-DC charger as well as a Victron Smart Battery Sense. I'm generally on board with Victron products but their battery shunt is far too expensive for what it does, IMO.

Yeah, Victron anything is pricey but worth it, from what I'm told. Maybe not so much with the shunts.

I'm getting a brand new Shadow Cruiser. If they used the WFCO inverter I believe I'm good. If they used Progressive Dynamics, I might have an issue.

It's a travel trailer, so no DC-DC to worry about!

It's the wife I need to convince to get the inverter. I've failed so far, but we'll see how long she holds out ?
Does this trailer have a 7 pin RV connector ? If it does then you will likely have charge voltage from the tow rig.

Back