diy solar

diy solar

New member from N.C.

ridincurves

Hi everybody, Right now im running a 4x 100 watt panel setup feeding a 60 amp MPPT charge controller . Im looking at moving the panels about a 100 feet from where they are now and reconfigure into 48 volts along with adding four more panels. My question is is there any issue with having the panels wired for 48 volts but using a 12 volt battery bank ? thanks for any info.

Hi Ridincurves, welcome to the forum!

Ultimately the answer to your question is dependent on the specific charge controller, I didn't see a model reference in your post so I can't look it up...

Your MPPT charge controller will have a rating on the lines of "Max VOC" which is short for "Maximum Voltage Open Circuit". If you add the VOC rating of all 4 of your panels, and it is lower than the VOC rating of the charge controller, then you will be fine. The panels VOC rating can be found on the label on the back.

What you have to keep in mind is that the MPPT charge controller is kicking down that higher voltage to a level that is safe for the batteries, that is it's main purpose. As long as your battery parameters in the charge controller are set right then you are good to go!

Sorry ,it's a Renogy Rover 60amp. I'm using lead acid 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in 12 volts. Per the spec sheet on the controller it can handle up to 150 volts . doing the math the max output for the panels would be 74.4 volts . Seems safe to me .

Sorry ,it's a Renogy Rover 60amp. I'm using lead acid 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in 12 volts. Per the spec sheet on the controller it can handle up to 150 volts . doing the math the max output for the panels would be 74.4 volts . Seems safe to me .
Yup sounds like you are set!

Back