diy solar

diy solar

Hi All, New Member fom UK. Befuddled!!

Shadowryder

Thanks for having me in here folks much appreciated,
I have been reading for a couple weeks but TBH cannot find the info I need.
Will try not to ramble on ,
SO spring this year bought a complete offgrid package from a reputable UK company,
Kit consisted of 2x Sharp 410 panels {820 Watts} ,3000 watt hybrid inverter,4x 100 AH AGM Batteries
https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en...-hybrid-inverter-and-2-x-100Ah-batteries.html as mentioned added 2 extra batteries
I put this lot together with a ground array and inverter in my workshop which the system was primarily for but I do have a line to the house running ceiling lights and a couple of not too heavy weight sockets.
This system has worked fine all spring summer but around end of October I noticed my batteries were not charging fully.So got a good price on 2 x 405 panels locally to me and fitted thinking it would be a straight connnection on 3000 hybrid. but afraid this was not so for couple reasons, 1 hybrid was max 70 volts and charge controller has a maximum solar input of 1000W,
I then tried to put my panels in 2 strings of 2 panels in series then into hybrid in parrallel this was charging but with poor results so I went back to my original setup.
It has been suggested to me to put other 2 panels on a separate SCC coupled direct to batteries.
So to see if this will work I purchased a cheap chinese charge contoller connected it to my 2 spare panels and to the batteries, this was showing a charge early afternoon(dry and bright) but only 0.7 to 1.1 amps and later on when it got dark panels self disconnected and my scc was showing as actively discharging the batteries.
Have added some pics which may help with my description of things.
can anyone Help please.20231218_201932.jpg20231107_120317.jpg20231218_130602.jpg20231218_201006.jpg20231218_200944.jpg

Attachments

• 20231217_165851.jpg
    20231217_165851.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 10
Hybrid inverter specifications:
  • Nominal battery voltage: 24V
  • Maximum solar input power: 1000W
  • Maximum open circuit solar input voltage: 102V
  • Maximum solar charging current: 40A
  • MPPT operating voltage range: 30V – 80V

2S @ 37.XV is about right.

2S2P should work, but you'll never collect more than ~1000W at any time; however, you should be able to make that 1000W for a few hours in the middle of the day (assuming the UK sun shows itself).

A second MPPT is perfectly viable, but "cheap" and "MPPT" may not go together well.

Please link a manual for that "MPPT".

Please note that you need to be charging your battery to ~28.8V or so daily. Failure to charge to full regularly will hasten their demise.

one more.
Hybrid inverter specifications:
  • Nominal battery voltage: 24V
  • Maximum solar input power: 1000W
  • Maximum open circuit solar input voltage: 102V
  • Maximum solar charging current: 40A
  • MPPT operating voltage range: 30V – 80V

2S @ 37.XV is about right.

2S2P should work, but you'll never collect more than ~1000W at any time; however, you should be able to make that 1000W for a few hours in the middle of the day (assuming the UK sun shows itself).

A second MPPT is perfectly viable, but "cheap" and "MPPT" may not go together well.

Please link a manual for that "MPPT".

Please note that you need to be charging your battery to ~28.8V or so daily. Failure to charge to full regularly will hasten their demise.
Hi,
thank you so much, you have cleared some of my fog with your reply,
This SCC was cheap £30 gbp it has MPPT on it but I think I may have been duped as it also has a couple of usb outlets on bottom.? think I may as well gone straight to victron or Epever. DOH!!!
with regard to a manual I got a bar mat size piece of paper with miniscule writing on it which is also in "Chinglish"(chinese english) so impossible to follow properly,,
I have managed to enlarge slightly by means of my scanner copier see attached,Do Not hesitate to tell me if I need to ditch this thing!!
So I can run all 4 through the hybrid on a 2S2P basis or fit a DECENT MPPT onto 2 panels then direct to batteries,
Which would you recommend for optimum charging please.
The batteries are getting grid charge through the hybrid via a mains connection so should be ok for that{I hope}
Hybrid is set up as per instructions in Wills website for optimum performance.
Thank you,
J...
scan_20231218-145300_1.jpgscan_20231218-144400_1.jpg

I don't see any reference to how the panels should be configured for a given battery voltage. I suspect they want something around 50V max.

Personally, I would try the new panels in parallel on that controller. I suspect that will nearly double its output.

If you're asking for a MPPT recommendation, I'm a Victron snob... :p

2S2P on your original unit SHOULD work but you will be clipped to no more than ~1000W output at any given time.

The scc apparently is smart enough to set itself for voltage of which ever panels/system connected, I am running a 24v system.
The 1000 watt output shouldnt be a problem really, my usage is household LED lighting,fridge/freezer / washing machine twice weekly and LED lights/battery charging for power tools and some sockets in my workshop/shed no heating or high draw appliances.
Think I will check out the victron prices over here ,do you reccomend 75/30 amp which is slightly overpanelling or 100/40 amp.??
Thank you once more you have cleared things up a good bit for me.
I will try the panels in parallel.
Cheers
J...

Last edited:
Back