diy solar

diy solar

New member with ideas

bladetoyshop

Good afternoon. Just joined and am seriously considering installing solar power at the house. I have need of a configuration with two relatively low capacity inverters and one higher capacity model. One will go in a small shed, another in the garage and the highest capacity in the house itself.

Good afternoon. Just joined and am seriously considering installing solar power at the house. I have need of a configuration with two relatively low capacity inverters and one higher capacity model. One will go in a small shed, another in the garage and the highest capacity in the house itself.

Since it seems you will be running wire between the buildings why not just put in one inverter and running ac wire?

Low voltage needs as short conductors as possible.

so, all inverters need to be as close to the battery bank as possible.

or are you planning a solar/battery set in each location?

Initial plan for either the house or the garage:

20 250W 24v solar cells $989.80

32 3.2V 150Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Cell $3,194.12

1 5kw 48v split phase inverter $1,092.50 + $268.00 shipping

The solar cells will likely be series/parallel connected with a total of 48 volts. The batteries will be the same way. The split phase inverter will tie into the existing main fuse panels in whichever building I use them first. The parts list obviously doesn't include the BMS or other required components to link the panels to the inverter or the inverter to the main power panel. The shed will probably be the smallest inverter.

Then that is a good plan.

As mentioned above, I think you can save a lot by just using a circuit breaker to send the energy to the other areas with a buried or service wire. Why make the system with 3 inverters, when you can have it all in one room, and just power the other areas with one Inverter?

Good unit, lots of folks using it.
It has 2 MPPT solar inputs on it.
Each string can be a total of 4000 watts, the voltage in series has to be 60 to 115 Vdc.

It's kind of weird thinking about 24v and 48v panels, the marketing really is confusing.

The output data sticker of the panel is what is important. You can get much higher wattage panels when you think residential panels vs off-grid, car battery systems.

Look for the Vmp and the Imp rating. The volts and amps of the panel, the watts gave is under ideal conditions and very rarely happens.

Back