diy solar

diy solar

New member with new project : )

socaliguy81

Hello fellow techies!

My name is Travis and my background is in competition car audio and home automation. I'm currently adding some capabilities to my 2016 F150 and the project has ballooned into quite the endeavor thanks to my late night YouTube and Amazon binging. The truck will eventually be used for search and rescue, but also for overlanding with a small off-road camper trailer.

The concept behind the project is to keep the truck as OEM as feasible, while adding significant upgrades in capabilities. So far, here is a list of installed equipment so you can get a sense of my electrical loads...

1. 200A Audio System
2. 214A Inverter/Charger
3. 15A GMRS Radio
4. 15A Running LIghts
5. 10A Strobe Lights
6. 10A Fridge/Freezer
7. 10A approximately in additional audio accessories, solenoids, thermal video system, etc.
Total added potential MAX load: 474 Amps

I started with a Singer Alternator 290Idle/340Peak alternator and a trio of Optima Yellow Tops. I chose the Yellow Tops due to personal experience with them in high heat applications. Since this project is in the Palm Springs area, I expect the battery boxes to reach in excess of 140F which would render most Lithium options useless. I'm using an OEM style replacement under the hood and a pair of D34/78s for a decent 110Ah combined. There is a 500A Victron SmartShunt on each aux battery as they are mounted in separate enclosures. The SmartShunts are monitoring the main battery voltage and the aux battery temps, as well as the usage of the aux batteries.

I'm isolating the main and aux batteries using an awesome unit I sourced from a company called Perfect Switch. They are essentially in the business of building custom electronic solutions for the military in the San Diego area. The owner gave me a tour of his shop when I went down to pick up my dual rectifier isolator, and I learned a lot about how they're engineered and assembled. I'm using the Dual Rectifier Gen4 300A model. Years ago, I was forced to go to the marine market to find something like this, but the equipment didn't like the underhood temps. LOL

I'm running (2) Renogy 100W panels on the roof of the F150, which feeds a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50. This setup allows for the connection of 900W of additional panels if desired. Fingers crossed WorkSport gets their solar tonneau covers to market soon, which could produce approx 400W of additional solar power.

I was going to run a Victron inverter, but have decided as I was writing this to switch to the Victron MultiPlus 12/1200/50 so that I can add a shore power input. This will come in handy while boondocking when the sun isn't out, as well as providing all-day power at trade shows and audio competitions where demos are done all day. I'm hoping that someone on here can help with sourcing the Victron MultiPlus 12/1200/50 as it seems to be scarce.

I've attached some pics of my old Tahoe solar installation and some F150 project photos. I'll be providing more up to date photos as the finishing touches are put on the system. Cheers!

Attachments

• AppleAPExpressHack2 (2).jpg
    AppleAPExpressHack2 (2).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IsolatorStatusLights (2).jpg
    IsolatorStatusLights (2).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 2
  • isolatorstatuslightswiring (2).jpg
    isolatorstatuslightswiring (2).jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1
  • OptimaOEMF150 (2).jpg
    OptimaOEMF150 (2).jpg