diy solar

diy solar

mazroth

New member here. Started reading and exploring solar more after buying a bluetti ac200 max and some 200 watt panels. Few years ago, I bought a gas generator, a small jackery and panel, and a little 12 volt fridge. One of my daughters is type 1 diabetic, and wanted a way to keep her insulin cool in case of emergency, and no power. Well, the power has went out a few times, once in winter, once in summer. Though neither lasted long, got the feeling of being a bit more helpless. Have a wood burning stove in place now, and the bluetti to run a fridge.

But I want a little more, so I reading, watching youtube videos (which led me to Will Prowse, then the forum). May raise a some funds soon, to make my own semi portable kit.

Welcome to the club! Though none of my children are diabetic, I feel you on feeling helpless when the power goes out.

It was out in my house for a week over here in Texas during our recent power outage, and we aren't used to freezing temps with no electricity or running water. I wasn't stocked up on any sort of firewood and was burning whatever random crud I could find in my fireplace to keep warm. I was literally burning the tissues we were blowing our snotty noses with.

Needless to say, I wasn't pleased by the situation and have started putting things in place to at least be able to stay warm and have a significant supply of water/food.

The people here seem to really know their stuff, on a large variety of topics.

While out cleaning up the garage, I decided to hook my ac200 max up to the old fridge that came with the house (1pm). Its still new and have not used it yet. Also put one 200 watt mono panel leaning on a box to test as well. Had the mono in the sun for about 3 hours, 150 avg input. I put it away and closed up the garage since we were done outside. Checked on it a few times into the night, and finally went down at 11am the next day. I was at 50%. For my first use, it worked out pretty well.

Noticed some lifep04 batteries on sale on ebay, and have seen good reviews with powerqueen. Figured it was alot cheaper to get one of these than buy a expandable battery from bluetti. I have a 12.8v 200ah on the way. Next will be to work up the wires or order some to power the ac200max during the night if I had too. Will work on researching the possibility of using a dc to dc converter to up the voltage. Also exploring best way for me to mount up my 5 200 watt newpowa mono solar panels. Want to put them on wheels so I can move them around (wheels are gonna be gravel friendly).

I built a small off-grid system to power the refrigerator, a evaporative cooler, the natural gas furnace, and well pump. If the grid goes down, I will be OK.

Back