diy solar

diy solar

new property

chensley02

i have a off grid building on river thought i was getting grid power so it was wired with a 200 amp home service panel i got for free electric company wants 13000 ive got 6 strings of led patio lights, 10 rec for phone charger ect and ceiling fan probably will put frig in later on, will the eg4 3kw inverter,1 eg4lifepower4 48v 100ahbattery,4 150 monocrystalline panels do for now get full sun from 10-4 no major appliances just using building as hang out

Ok, now that I've got a little more time, a couple more thoughts.

You're going to want at least 1kw of panel for that system, more is better to help compensate for winter.

That unit is only rigged for a single 30a 120v output so you'll need a jumper between the legs in the box to feed both sides. You're not going to get 240v out of that single unit.

You're still going to need to do a power audit to check your battery size. The inverter alone is going to be 20% of your battery each day. Just by the sound of it you should be OK, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

what would be the best option on panels as far as brand/watt and im not worried about 240v never going to need that in this building just going to use the 200 amp box since its already there thanks for the answers this is all new to me its fun tho

At this point it's a physics and money issue. How many panels can you physically fit VS how many panels you can afford. Looking around for used panels on Craigslist and the like the average is somewhere in the 250w/$100 range for old grid tie panels off someone's roof. That's the cheapest option if you've got the space to put them. On the other hand if you need to maximize space you're going to be looking at higher density panels which are in the $1/watt range, or say about $400 for a 400w panel. Same size as the used panel (give or take) but almost twice the power, and 4x the cost.

Brand isn't nearly as important as any brand of panel will perform about as well as any other brand at the same wattage rating. The big keys are that the panels be pretty close to each other in VoC and Vmp so you're not nerfing panels, and that your SCC can handle a decent number of them. The used panels for example usually sit around 40v VoC and if you wanted to do strings of them the SCC has to be able to handle it.

For example, you get some used 250w panels from a guy and they have a VoC rating of 40v. If you buy a SCC that can only handle 100v then you can only put 2 in series (80v) but 3 in series would fry the SCC (120v). Fortunately that EG4 3k you're looking at IIRC can take up to 500v so you could make strings 11 deep if you really wanted to, you've got lots of options.

what would be the best option on panels as far as brand/watt
OK, sorry, I rambled there a bit. Find that Venn Diagram overlap of what you can afford and what you want to spend and get whatever panels fit best in there. Being a cabin you've probably got space for the older used panels, Trina 250w are pretty common, and get a stack of those.

just going to use the 200 amp box since its already there
You'll want to throw a jumper between the legs in the box so you can feed both sets of breakers but that's easy enough and pretty common.

Back