diy solar

diy solar

New Rich solar panel tested

PaulLad

OCV should be 22.6 volts, actual is 18.8. Of course this is in full sun. Send it back? Thx!

Maybe, but I doubt it.

For me, I'd do a amperage check. Then I'd hook it up to something to see how it worked. I have a small SCC that is hooked to 6 USB charging points and I could get data.

I see some differences in panel outputs. I think its got to do with the temperature coefficient of a panel. THe higher the temp, the lower the voltage. I've measured my roof flat panels at 134° F and my Flexible panels at 154° F, so using the ambient temp may lead to results being off.

Rich solar probably includes ambient temp coefficient with some negative number.

I think its probably good. You can cool it down by leaving it in the shade or bringing indoors or waiting to morning and try again.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

For me, I'd do a amperage check. Then I'd hook it up to something to see how it worked. I have a small SCC that is hooked to 6 USB charging points and I could get data.

I see some differences in panel outputs. I think its got to do with the temperature coefficient of a panel. THe higher the temp, the lower the voltage. I've measured my roof flat panels at 134° F and my Flexible panels at 154° F, so using the ambient temp may lead to results being off.

Rich solar probably includes ambient temp coefficient with some negative number.

I think its probably good. You can cool it down by leaving it in the shade or bringing indoors or waiting to morning and try again.
The panel was not hot.

Full sun at 90 degrees? - Perpendicular to the panel? Not a cloud in the sky? Test voltages and current are under *perfect* conditions

OCV should be 22.6 volts, actual is 18.8. Of course this is in full sun. Send it back? Thx!
Do you have a link to which panel you ordered?

This one says VMP 18.6 which I think is what you should get normally correct? It has a 22.8 VOC but that's not VMP. Are you testing panels with nothing attached or are you check volts coming into the controller?

Do you have a link to which panel you ordered?

This one says VMP 18.6 which I think is what you should get normally correct? It has a 22.8 VOC but that's not VMP. Are you testing panels with nothing attached or are you check volts coming into the controller?
Nothing attached.

Back