diy solar

diy solar

New SMA Tripower Hybrid Inverter or New Sunny Island Battery Inverter?

Myatix

Hi All,

I have been looking into extending my SMA Tripower 6kWp inverter with a battery backup solution due to high energy prices in EU. While I was researching the possibilities I noticed that SMA has released a new Tripower hybrid inverter that has a battery inverter (charge controller) included in the inverter. So now I am considering changing my entire inverter rather than purchasing a Sunny Island 4.4M

The plan is to use this to increase my self consumption rather than selling the excess back to the grid.

I would love to hear what people think about these various options?

As far as I can see the main disadvantage of the new SMA Tripower is that it only supports Lithium Batteries but a major advantage is it also has a charge diverter built in for EV’s and Heat pumps!

I would ideally like to use my solar PV to power a future heat pump, hot water cylinder and potentially an EV in the future, but I am uncertain if the SMA can also do solar diversion for a hot water cylinder as well?

Please let me know what you think would be the best option?

It depends on how big your loads are.

I'm in the US so no consumer sized 3-phase single-box SMA battery inverters here. I've set up 3x SI and 30kW TriPower just for fun.

I assume you would need 3x Sunny Island to pair with your TriPower, so lots of $$$ (or Euros.)
The TriPower hybrid would likely have pretty wimpy surge. In the US, Sunny Boy Storage 6kW has 9kW surge, and can't be paralleled with more.

Lithium has gotten to be lower purchase price than lead-acid. But models supported by SMA may only be expensive ones. For US model Sunny Island, REC has a BMS that can be used for DIY batteries. The European SI is compatible with different batteries.

Sunny Island, at least the ones I use, have 56A relay to grid inside. I think the new European model controls an external 200A relay. I think it may still have an internal one that can be used.

Loads can be controlled (each SI has two relays, and the system has two SoC settings which can be used to switch them.) What we want is smooth ramping of power. Something that responds to frequency shift would do that, but I don't know of commercial offerings.

Back