diy solar

diy solar

New

jzw

Hello from Tennessee.
I have 4 - 100 watt panels. Panel 1-100 watt, vmp 18 volt, imp 5.56, voc 22.0, isc 5.96.
Panels 2,3,4-100 watt, vmp 17.5 volt, imp 5.72, voc 21.08, isc 6.22
They are connected in parallel and the wiring from the panels are 12 gauge connected to 10 gauge wire going into a terminal box with a buss bar. From the buss bar the wire is 4 gauge running approximately 20 to 25 feet to my garage. All panels are grounded together and earth grounded as well. Panels are tilt able and I have no obstructions. The panels are facing south. My question is I keep burning up 1000 watt grid tie inverters. They don't last no longer then 3 or 4 months. I have tried the cheap ones and the more expensive ones. Not sure What is going on? I have checked the panels individually and found no problem with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I guess what am I doing wrong! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

If your panels are connected in parallel then the problem shouldn't be that you're exceeding the Maximum PV Input Voltage on the solar charge controller.

Please provide the specs - or a link - for the latest victim, um, inverter.

Welcome to the forum.

If your panels are connected in parallel then the problem shouldn't be that you're exceeding the Maximum PV Input Voltage on the solar charge controller.

Please provide the specs - or a link - for the latest victim, um, inverter.
I don't know. My last inverter was a dc 11-18v to 12 volt ac unit. I have used from the cheap amazon to the expensive units. I don't get it! all my connections are soldered and grounded!

Provide a picture of your install.
I attached several pictures and the solar panels specs are upside down. Sorry for that. All the connections are soldered and heat shrink. I tried my best to do everything right. Panels are connected in parallel.

Attachments

• IMG_E2142.JPG
    IMG_E2142.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3313.JPG
    IMG_3313.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 9
What expensive grid tie inverters have you killed? Wattage, model etc.

What expensive grid tie inverters have you killed? Wattage, model etc.
well I call them expensive. The Y&H units and the last one was a Solinba 1000watt unit. The one in the picture. It fried the transformer in the unit. The company is replacing it free. I have a question? I believe I know what is causing these things to die. I have occasional power outages and power spikes even though I live on a main line. I think this is causing it because when the electricity goes out or flickers the it usually get light bulbs. Any help on something to stop the power surge when the electricity comes back on?

I attached several pictures and the solar panels specs are upside down. Sorry for that. All the connections are soldered and heat shrink. I tried my best to do everything right. Panels are connected in parallel.
I believe I know why I am killing grid tie inverters. I live on a main road, main line. I get power spikes and power outages and when the power comes back on I get power spikes. Do anyone know of a protector that will safe guard when the power comes back on to stop the surge or trip off when I get power spikes?

Delay-timer triggered relay would stop or at least reduce it to a switching blip. I can imagine ways of doing this but I actually have never looked for 120V delay-relay timer so I dunno

Ok so you have two threads on this I guess

diy solar

diy solar
Back