diy solar

diy solar

newb Connecting inverter to electrical panel question

Pringles

Hello everyone, i'm working on my first solar project. Normally i'm try-and-error learning guy but I can't give much of room for error when it's safety issue so I'll appreciate your help.
My Goal is going off-grid without modifying existing current system as much as possible since it's testing phase for me.
Questions.
1. In my knowledge, there should be 2 hot wires and 1 neutral for Main. I see 2 hot wires on "2" but where is natural wire? this electrical panel was not usual than normal.
2. If I turn off Main ("2") to cut off electricity from the grid, and remove the AC wires ("1"), then connect 2 wires to where AC wires were, would it technically off-grid and work?
3. Why "1", the AC breaker has one black and one white wire? aren't they both supposed to be black/red representing hot?
4. If I want to keep AC, and and doesn't need electricity for "3", just like question 2, remove "3" wires and connect inverter there with 100 amp breaker, would it also work as off-grid?

I apologies for my language, still not used to electrician vocabularies .
Oh yes, and when I connect from inverter to the panel, I'll connect the ground and neutral wires to the same panel too.
PXL_20231126_202302540.MP.jpg

Hello everyone, i'm working on my first solar project. Normally i'm try-and-error learning guy but I can't give much of room for error when it's safety issue so I'll appreciate your help.

Meta- I think you are going down the wrong path to learn. You should start by looking up how to create a critical loads panel with an AIO inverter. And then move from CLP/AIO wiring diagram back to how to tie it into grid power. You also need to look up stuff like transfer switch and interlock kit on how to safely backfeed a live panel.

Even safer would be to wire up a CLP that is completely independent of grid, and then learn how subpanels work from there.

Your panel here is also stuffed 100% full so a subpanel would help / be essential in providing more opportunities to modify & add solar.

My Goal is going off-grid without modifying existing current system as much as possible since it's testing phase for me.
Questions.
1. In my knowledge, there should be 2 hot wires and 1 neutral for Main. I see 2 hot wires on "2" but where is natural wire? this electrical panel was not usual than normal.

This is a meter/main combo, so it is allowed to share ground and neutral on the same bar. Subpanels must have it separate. My guess is there is either a neutral busbar or neutral conductor hiding under that mess of cables. It would need to come from the meter ring on the left.

2. If I turn off Main ("2") to cut off electricity from the grid, and remove the AC wires ("1"), then connect 2 wires to where AC wires were, would it technically off-grid and work?
It will work but must be interlocked with main.

3. Why "1", the AC breaker has one black and one white wire? aren't they both supposed to be black/red representing hot?

White is allowed to be used for line if part of cable assemblies. It is not allowed to be used if part of individual conductors (THHN) in conduit)

White is used to carry hot in: 240V only wiring, switched legs, travelers, ...

4. If I want to keep AC, and and doesn't need electricity for "3", just like question 2, remove "3" wires and connect inverter there with 100 amp breaker, would it also work as off-grid?
Sure it will work electrically but this is the worst place to put it, because 100% of interlock plates require the backfeed breaker to be next to the main breaker, and 3 is opposite the end of the bus from the main.

I apologies for my language, still not used to electrician vocabularies .
Oh yes, and when I connect from inverter to the panel, I'll connect the ground and neutral wires to the same panel too.

Back