diy solar

diy solar

Newb to the forum.

12vDC

Hello. Cursory introduction as a newcomer. Not an expert on Solar but I have a decent understanding. Ive known about the forum from watching battery tear-downs a couple years ago, but Im only signing up now. Ive done a few searches but I havent found what Im looking for yet.

Im about to order a Starlink so I can work on the road in my motovan. Doing the math using a half day of router/dish/laptop plugged in to an inverter calculates into a significant dent into my 200Ah capacity - more significant in inclement weather, and exacerbated by running a diesel heater overnight. So I would like to supplement my power requirements with the most EFFICIENT portable suitcase.

Anyone can point me to a thread or otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

Portable suitcases are notoriously inefficient. They have a high idle drain due to their cheap components.

If you want efficiency, you need different solution than a portable suitcase. Simply expanding your existing system would retain the existing efficiency.

As the form factor of batteries has reduced significantly more recently, I have entertained going to a 300Ah battery but priorities for other projects and needs vs wants keep crushing this idea.

A larger battery bank as suggested above would help, but not solve the problem of replenishment.

I have a residential 325W 50V Panasonic on the roof of my van. Its done. Not trying to live in it, not gonna make it “better”. Just want to get away with running a work-from-home setup so I can go camping during the week (thus looking into a deployable panel to go with the deployable satellite).

And as suggested I will look into making my own “suitcase”. With adjustable angle frames like Ive seen advertised in BougeRV. See what I can get on the cheap. Or maybe just make my own aluminum angles with 1/4-20 threaded knobs. This is probably gonna get expensive, and over-engineered.

IMG_0394.jpeg

Yeah, even a harbor freight 100W glass panel beats most suitcase setups.
There are some 200W fold out panels, but I doubt them, and they are $$
I'd just source a nice 200W panel, and get some brackets on it to set an angle, then pull it out when needed.

You could also get three 100W anels and put them on your roof, and take the current panel down for temp deployment.

There are some 200W fold out panels, but I doubt them, and they are $$

We have the Renogy 200W suitcase. We got it on the Amazon warehouse, so I think we paid about $220 for it, when it arrived it looked brand new. Was missing one of the four foam corners in packaging but arrived in perfect condition.

Removed the PWM controller, rewired from series to parallel, added 25 feet of 10Awg wire and an SAE port on the underside of the camp trailer, that splices into the 400W 4P system that comes in off the roof. Works great. And yeah, every panel is fused individually.

I’m no longer a fan of bc Renogy products, but their suitcase is good. The large carrying case is nice for storing the panels in the back seat of the truck, but the zipper broke the first time I used it but zips enough to keep the case closed.

We have the Renogy 200W suitcase. We got it on the Amazon warehouse, so I think we paid about $220 for it, when it arrived it looked brand new. Was missing one of the four foam corners in packaging but arrived in perfect condition.

Removed the PWM controller, rewired from series to parallel, added 25 feet of 10Awg wire and an SAE port on the underside of the camp trailer, that splices into the 400W 4P system that comes in off the roof. Works great. And yeah, every panel is fused individually.

I’m no longer a fan of bc Renogy products, but their suitcase is good. The large carrying case is nice for storing the panels in the back seat of the truck, but the zipper broke the first time I used it but zips enough to keep the case closed.
So... functionally ok, but cosmetically the pits...

So... functionally ok, but cosmetically the pits...
The only cosmetic issue is the zippered case. Which stays in the truck. The panels themselves look perfect. If you haven’t bought from the Amazon warehouse before, most everything is just returned items that are perfect or missing part of the packaging. The zippered case does the job of protecting the panels and zips enough to stay on. Most suitcase panels I don’t think come with any sort of protective case. The case isn’t used when the panels are deployed, only for storing them.

Yes! I visualized placing an SAE connector on the front/rear underside of the van. I usually over do it with wiring and was thinking to go 8awg marine rated to minimize voltage drop.

Interesting though I hadnt considered if I DIY a “suitcase” I would need a significant controller in any case to handle 2 panels either in 2s/2p. Unless I just do one larger panel but the size would create its own downside no longer portable.

So yeah the suitcase route is looking better again… I need to do more research on these:

Limited-time deal: DOKIO Solar Suitcase 200W Portable Foldable Solar Panel 18v Monocrystalline with Controller to Charge 12 Volts Batteries (All Lead/Acid Types: Vented AGM Gel) RV Camping Marine https://a.co/d/2vyqQB2

DOKIO 160W Pro 18V Portable Solar Panel Kit Folding Solar Charger for 12v Batteries/Power Station AGM LiFePo4 RV Camping Trailer Car Marine… https://a.co/d/gQuGhHQ

Yes! I visualized placing an SAE connector on the front/rear underside of the van. I usually over do it with wiring and was thinking to go 8awg marine rated to minimize voltage drop.

Interesting though I hadnt considered if I DIY a “suitcase” I would need a significant controller in any case to handle 2 panels either in 2s/2p. Unless I just do one larger panel but the size would create its own downside no longer portable.

So yeah the suitcase route is looking better again… I need to do more research on these:

Limited-time deal: DOKIO Solar Suitcase 200W Portable Foldable Solar Panel 18v Monocrystalline with Controller to Charge 12 Volts Batteries (All Lead/Acid Types: Vented AGM Gel) RV Camping Marine https://a.co/d/2vyqQB2

DOKIO 160W Pro 18V Portable Solar Panel Kit Folding Solar Charger for 12v Batteries/Power Station AGM LiFePo4 RV Camping Trailer Car Marine… https://a.co/d/gQuGhHQ

If you get similar specced panels for the suitcase, it’s easier to wire them to the rooftop ones. Or just use the included charge controller and they’ll be independent.

We have 4x100W panels in the roof in 4p pattern. And the suitcase is 2x100W in 2p. So wiring them all together gives us 6p. I could also rearrange to get to 2s3p, but being mobile and shading issues, 6p is best.

The first kit you linked is similar to the Renogy one we have.

Mine just arrived yesterday, I'll run it through my tester when the sun comes out and let you know how it goes before you buy it and find out that 160w is optimistic.

Mine just arrived yesterday, I'll run it through my tester when the sun comes out and let you know how it goes before you buy it and find out that 160w is optimistic.
Awesome! Let us know how it works.

Do a test or two with a partial shade if you can. Some units are better than others when even just creating a shade with your hand.

(I dont ever plan to create a shadow over my panels but sometimes it happens….)

If you get similar specced panels for the suitcase, it’s easier to wire them to the rooftop ones. Or just use the included charge controller and they’ll be independent.

We have 4x100W panels in the roof in 4p pattern. And the suitcase is 2x100W in 2p. So wiring them all together gives us 6p. I could also rearrange to get to 2s3p, but being mobile and shading issues, 6p is best.

The first kit you linked is similar to the Renogy one we have.

$273 for the kit we have. We get very good production from use and it’s of decent build quality (except for the zipper on the case, but that’s a minor issue) :

Tip: when buying from Amazon warehouse, inspect the item closely, if it doesn’t match the item description, call them and they’ll usually knock off another 20-50%. We’ve never gotten anything in bad shape, usually a small cosmetic issue that wasn’t advertised and they’re good at giving an additional discount.

Well krap, Fall is officially here in the Pac NW and it's been grey and rain all week so far. I haven't forgotten, just no idea if/when we'll ever see the sun again. :unsure:

In theory this weekend we'll have some sun so I'll give it a shot then. I do have 2 complaints about it so far though:

1: No kickstand, so you have to lay it flat or build one to hold all 4 panels as they're pretty floppy.
2: The SAE plug on it is reversed polarity so if you get an SAE -> MC4 adapter cable, make sure it comes with the SAE gender changer bit.

Last edited:
Well krap, Fall is officially here in the Pac NW and it's been grey and rain all week so far. I haven't forgotten, just no idea if/when we'll ever see the sun again. :unsure:

In theory this weekend we'll have some sun so I'll give it a shot then. I do have 2 complaints about it so far though:

1: No kickstand, so you have to lay it flat or build one to hold all 4 panels as they're pretty floppy.
2: The SAE plug on it is reversed polarity so if you get an SAE -> MC4 adapter cable, make sure it comes with the SAE gender changer bit.
Yeah, I was scouring the different Dokio offerings for that style of case but found no evidence of a stand in any literature or video. Bum deal!

And also yeah, I need to find a better alternative to SAE because Im always cut/pasting these stupid connectors.

Interesting price point for 9BB panels. Happen to have the spec sheet? That Amazon page does not provide one.
You can get the spec from hqst’s website you have to find the picture with the specs on the panel they don’t make it easy but they seem to be pretty good panels I have 3 presently in service for 3 years no issues and I’ve got a dozen of the 9bb units for a couple of future projects

You can get the spec from hqst’s website you have to find the picture with the specs on the panel they don’t make it easy but they seem to be pretty good panels I have 3 presently in service for 3 years no issues and I’ve got a dozen of the 9bb units for a couple of future projects
These are actually good specs to build a portable case with two panels in parallel with an inexpensive MPPT. The HQST adjustable legs are only like $42!

Back