diy solar

diy solar

Newb to the forum.

These are actually good specs to build a portable case with two panels in parallel with an inexpensive MPPT. The HQST adjustable legs are only like $42!
I think you will be happier going this way better quality and production for similar cost

You might consider one of the Bluetooth victron scc the smaller ones are fairly inexpensive for the quality this one or a 100/20 would work wellhttps://www.amazon.com/Victron-SmartSolar-Charge-Controller-Bluetooth/dp/B075NQQRPD?th=1

Well, I don't know if it's because it's later afternoon or it's light haze in the sky but I'm not impressed...

Directionality was determined by the (patent pending) Solarocity Universal Directional System

20230901_180200.jpg

Dokio Readings.jpg

The lack of kickstand on that many floppy panels makes it a real PITA.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if it's because it's later afternoon or it's light haze in the sky but I'm not impressed...

Directionality was determined by the (patent pending) Solarocity Universal Directional System

The lack of kickstand on that many floppy panels makes it a real PITA.
im having a second thought on the renogy and the dokio kickstand.

the starlink came in the other day. im going to use it sunday at the beach. so ill get to see what kind of draw i can expect when i disburse.

Why not convert the router to 12v? That's what I've done using the video from The Overlanders from YouTube! I did the soldered option and it was a lot easier than you might think. It also keeps the 240v option (UK version) available. You just need a 12v regulated supply and a 12v to 48v converter.

Works really well but I haven put it to any long rest yet to check consumption rate.

There are other options available but the method I chose didn't involve cutting the actual cable and came to a total of @£25 inc delivery on Alibaba.com.

And it was fun to do, I used a scalpel to remove the front glass screen and a couple of wooden flat sticks (off ice lollies) to help the process. Just take your time

I also added a socket on the side so I can just plug a cable between the router and the 12v/48v - the socket comes with a cap to protect the terminals when not in use. It was a bit more work and TOTALLY unnecessary, but I had time in my hands

IMG_20230704_165640.jpg

Last edited:
So I had the chance today to give it the best possible chance at about noon with no clouds. It did a bit better this time, getting 71.6% of rating which is about the best I think anyone will ever get.

Dokio better readings.jpg

The price is right but the kickstand and SAE really make me wish I'd had more to spend on it.

Last edited:
The cooler did its overnight power draw. Woke to a thick marine layer overcast. Averaged 23A recharge on the 1/2hr drive to the beach, let it idle for another 1/2hr.

At 7:30am was getting <1A solar production. By 1pm I was at 14.2V into absorption.

Using the Starlink streaming the races to a monitor I think its roughly 9Ah consumption. My rooftop panel will cancel this out as long as there is sun. I believe in the winter is when I would need to supplement with a deployable panel.
IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1780.jpeg

Back