diy solar

diy solar

Newbie question about the all-in-one inverters

nejcpuska

Hi all!
It seems that all-in-one inverters (like this Growatt inverter) are becoming more popular nowadays and have a ton of pros over the modular off-grid system that one would be using for an off-grid van or RV system, at least according to Will Prowse. As I'm seeing it, the only big drawdown is the idle power consumption that tends to be relatively high and can drain out the batteries. According to Will's page that shouldn't be a problem if you don't need to have the inverter ON 24/7 (which I'm not intending to do). My only question is, do these AIO inverters have a dedicated switch to turn off the inverter only and still run other part of the system (solar charger especially)? If not, Is it possible to easily install a switch myself for that purpose?
Thanks in advance!

MPP Solar Solar charging still works when inverter power switch is OFF, EG4 Solar charging also still works.

You should get the spec of the stand alone inverter with the same power of AIO to compare the power consumption when no AC load is present.

As I'm seeing it, the only big drawdown is the idle power consumption that tends to be relatively high and can drain out the batteries.
Do more research. Other drawbacks are....

Mediocre design (one reason why idle consumption is so high)
Use of marginal and sometimes recycled (used) components.
Low surge capacity (motor starting)
Lack of support
Honoring the warranty
Lack of UL listing

Last edited:
Hello, just want to know if anyone can help me with an issue? I bought a Megarevo/BlueSun/EG4 inverter. I have 9,000 watts on PV. I set the house to self-consume, but I’m having one issue. I have the SOLARMAN app and when I see the energy that is entering to the batteries charge, for some reason it have a limit of 2.4kw entering the batteries. I have a familiar that have the exact same system and he gets 4.8kw of energy entering to the system. I verified all the settings and are all the same. The only difference that I can see is that he uses a #10 cable for the pv to the inverter and I use a #12 cable. Could that be my issue? Does anyone know about a setting or something that can change this? Here Isend a picture of the system working.

Attachments

• IMG_8376.png
    IMG_8376.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 1
. As I'm seeing it, the only big drawdown is the idle power consumption that tends to be relatively high and can drain out the batteries. According to Will's page that shouldn't be a problem if you don't need to have the inverter ON 24/7 (which I'm not intending to do).

The Outback Radian (inverter part of their component system) has an idle draw of 34 watts if ANYTHING is turned on. 10 watts otherwise.
I believe the Sol-Ark (AIO) is about 60w idle.

In a primary home use case, not many people turn off everything. All those pesky electronics (garage remote, cell phone charger, etc), and HVAC system.

Hi all!
It seems that all-in-one inverters (like this Growatt inverter) are becoming more popular nowadays and have a ton of pros over the modular off-grid system that one would be using for an off-grid van or RV system, at least according to Will Prowse. As I'm seeing it, the only big drawdown is the idle power consumption that tends to be relatively high and can drain out the batteries. According to Will's page that shouldn't be a problem if you don't need to have the inverter ON 24/7 (which I'm not intending to do). My only question is, do these AIO inverters have a dedicated switch to turn off the inverter only and still run other part of the system (solar charger especially)? If not, Is it possible to easily install a switch myself for that purpose?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, pretty much all the versions and brands out there have a main On/Off switch to shut down the inverter and most of them will still have functional charge controllers to still charge the battery even if the unit is off.
Do more research. Other drawbacks are....

Mediocre design (one reason why idle consumption is so high)
Use of marginal and sometimes recycled (used) components.
Low surge capacity (motor starting)
Lack of support
Honoring the warranty
Lack of UL listing
Stick with a reputable brand (MPP, Growatt, EG4) from a reputable source (Watts247, SignatureSolar) and the UL listing really becomes the biggest issue if you require that.

Back