diy solar

diy solar

Newbie would appreciate advice

Patrick59

Hi, I live in the south of Spain so plenty of sunshine to take advantage of. I have been gifted a couple of 450W panels and would like to have a go at building my own system as far as possible. Don't really know a great deal about solar systems and so would appreciate some advice about what sort of system architecture to initially aim for - i.e. Buck converter + Inverter, PWM Controller + Inverter, MPPT Controller + Inverter etc. Would also appreciate if anyone has circuit diagrams for any of these items - I'm planning to run the 2 panels in series so around 80-90V and 10 or so Amps. Planning on a 3kW sine wave inverter as I will probably expand the capacity once this is up and running. Thanks.

How your system should be designed really depends what kind of loads you intend to power. There's plenty of threads on this forum about system planning and sizing, reading them would be the first step.
If you're intending to set up a larger system, your choice will really be whether you use a AIO inverter (which integrates the MPPT, charge controller and inverter into a single unit), or use separate MPPT/charge controller and inverter.
AIO is simpler but with less flexibility than separate MPPT/charge controller and inverter.

You'll also need to consider your storage. The batteries are usually the most expensive component of the system. Their size and configuration will affect your choices for most of the other equipment.

Back