diy solar

diy solar

Nissan Leaf Batteries or this...

HazeGraySkoolie

I am in the process of mapping out my battery requirement for my Skoolie and I was thinking about using (49) Nissan Leaf G2 modules to build a 48v system. with 49 modules it will output 24.5kWh. A few days ago this was posted on the DIY Solar Power YouTube channel and I thought it would make a viable battery option compared to the Nissan Leaf G2 modules. I have been trying to do the math for this and I would require (15) of these cells to make a 48v system however it will only provide 4.8kWh, right? In order for me to match the 24.5kWh from the Nissan Leaf batteries I would need about 76 of these cells? Sorry but math is hard...lol.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Your math is approximately correct. Although it's more common to go with 16S with LFP cells to get 48V nominal. So you'd need 16 x 5P blocks = 80 cells of 100AH. That's quite a hefty battery pack, so pay attention to volume and weight.
My gut feeling is not to trust those large cylindrical cells, until someone reputable tests them for capacity and self-discharge. Been burned many times by Headway type cells from China.

Thank you for the reply. That's what I thought for the number of cells required. I agree that it is a hefty battery pack but the overall weight is ~300 lbs compared to the Nissan Leaf setup with 49 cells weighing in ~400 lbs. The problem I am facing now is the footprint, looks like the Nissan Leaf has a smaller footprint. Also, the price for the Nissan Leaf G2 cells are about ~$3k on the secondary market compared to ~$7.2k from CHINESE manufacturers shipping from China. I am very hesitant to order anything of value from China since they have a track record of overstating their products requirements.

I was thinking about using this all-in-one MPP solar inverter with the battery pack I am going to build, what do you think? Maybe two put together to handle 8 x 300 watt solar panels and to charge the battery pack.

Cheers!

I doubt LFP pack can be lighter than NMC pack at the same energy capacity. Something must be wrong in stated weight of those LFP cells. NMC has higher energy density than LFP, so the NMC pack of the same capacity must be lighter.
Why 2 inverters when one claims to handle up to 4kW of solar input per input and has 2 inputs?

Back