diy solar

diy solar

Nissan Leaf Partnering with AEP Ohio

Jmac786

I just got an email from my electric company, AEP Ohio. I wanted to share this info with the forum because of what I see coming down the pipe.

They are offering $6,000 cash back on the purchase of a new Nissan Leaf which can be combined with a $7,500 federal discount.

I don’t usually recommend new vehicle purchases, and I’m not going to in this case either. What I want to point out here is that Ohio is a deregulated energy state. We are not captive to buying our electricity from the local utility company. We are captive in who services the lines and distributes the electricity. So even though my electricity is currently through a provider in Texas ($0.035/kw), AEP Ohio maintains a forced monopoly on getting that electricity to my home. It is to their financial benefit that my electric usage increases to a level I can’t support on my own property. What happens if you transition one (or two) vehicles over to electric? Can existing grid-tie systems support the increased demand? Probably not. Hence the utility/electric vehicle partnership. This is the “bargaining phase” of staying on-grid.

Attachments

• ABC311FB-B402-4A75-89E8-4DC690EB5930.png
    ABC311FB-B402-4A75-89E8-4DC690EB5930.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 8
Odd that's it's a Leaf and not any qualifying vehicle. Wonder if Nissan is providing some of that (if not and I were a Nissan competitor I'd be thinking about suing the state). Still, pretty sweet deal.

That's quite the rebate.

I'm very happy with my 2019 Leaf. Great range, ride quality and cabin quality is much better than my 2015 Leaf.

Too bad my closest dealer sucks.

I just got an email from my electric company, AEP Ohio. I wanted to share this info with the forum because of what I see coming down the pipe.

They are offering $6,000 cash back on the purchase of a new Nissan Leaf which can be combined with a $7,500 federal discount.

I don’t usually recommend new vehicle purchases, and I’m not going to in this case either. What I want to point out here is that Ohio is a deregulated energy state. We are not captive to buying our electricity from the local utility company. We are captive in who services the lines and distributes the electricity. So even though my electricity is currently through a provider in Texas ($0.035/kw), AEP Ohio maintains a forced monopoly on getting that electricity to my home. It is to their financial benefit that my electric usage increases to a level I can’t support on my own property. What happens if you transition one (or two) vehicles over to electric? Can existing grid-tie systems support the increased demand? Probably not. Hence the utility/electric vehicle partnership. This is the “bargaining phase” of staying on-grid.
Wow; Interesting. Been studying Nisaan Leafs vs other EV or hybrid options.; while also, wondering if leasing an EV might make sense. Wondering when big tech plans to make an EV option for its' battery to function as a backup power supply for a home, wondering when that will become available (as in) ... Nissan Energy‘s car to grid technology / plus hear Tesla has also been working on that too (maybe leader?) Nissan version: https://electrek.co/2018/11/28/nissan-energy-leaf-vehicle-to-home-building/ ... Has any DIY network figured out how to use an EV to intergrate to a home solar system yet? I would think that would likely mean a challenging complicated interface. ... / // I image that rebate is for Ohio residents only ??? / Please Let us know if not.

Last edited:
1) It is for AEP Ohio customers only

2) Thanks for sharing! I had no idea the Nissan had built bidirectional functionality into the Leafs. That’s a 40Kwh home backup battery just in the base model! Off the top of my head, that would be worth about $6,000 in DIY LiFePo4 batteries (with BMS).

I never drive more than 40 miles per day, and probably average less than 20 now. We use my wife’s new Hybrid CR-V for longer family trips. It hasn’t made economical sense to replace my 2012 Malibu yet, but having 40Kwh of usable energy storage opens up some possibilities. Not to mention that I have the land needed for additional PV ground mounts. ?

Re: had no idea the Nissan had built bidirectional functionality into the Leafs.
I do not think this "bidirectional function" is on the market YET; but do think that huge shift is coming. I wonder what DIYs might be experimenting with along these lines (using an EV battery of a usable car, via some kind of plug in interface; to also use the EV battery as a mobile Home Backup Power Wall (with or without a Solar System). Has anyone seen DIY experiments along that line yet ??? I have only recently seen evidence of the big guys working on that idea via that link I shared previously. I previously heard of such ideas from a high end solar tech/ motorcycle buddy of mine (Doug Pratt / original tech writer for Real Goods back in the 80s). I heard Tesla has been working on this bidirectional functionality for their Power Walls (& I would think for their car & truck batteries too/ but no specifics). I heard we will eventually be able to charge up a power wall battery at night when the kWhs are cheaper/ and then be able to sell those kWhs from that same battery back to the Grid at peak grid use times when kWhs are worth more money; plus set up a such program to function automatically (select time of charge, and the sell back discharge cycles) via computer control options; and even make money from just owning a battery bank like that (with an integrated solar system being an additional big plus). ... I think the likely log jamming bottle neck for these kind of ideas is giant grid owner corporations "being afraid" of losing their monopoly powers. Another arena of Enlightening Thoughts I caught from my buddy Doug is: ... Ongoing Innovations, Better Improving Efficiencies, and Better Prices are coming, and will keep marching on, No Matter What !!! ; (AND; this is more my wording/ translating from what I heard): ... No Matter how messed up / (F*%#@%?!!! Up) our money marinated governments get, stay, or are now; Green Innovations are Coming No Matter What !!! ...Coming just based on the ongoing innovations and economics part of the picture. In my Personal Hopes and Dreams World (these pictures are the native language of our Creative Minds): I hope we will soon be witnessing a new style of Collaboration Efforts emanating from within our USA White House, with science based brains at the While House Round Table (vs Yes People); to Hopefully see a big shift toward USA Collaboration with other key nations that will accelerate joint efforts for tackling our common Global Warming Challenge. I see such threat based on the ongoing rise in that humongous mass of our planet's average ocean temperatures; that is feeding ongoing increases of yearly Hurricanes numbers and Forrest Fires acres burnt!!! I hope better governments can accelerate our global networking to really do something about THAT. IMO: ... It will take decades to shift the momentum! ... & While Smarter Governments CAN Assist / ongoing innovations along such lines, are essentially unstoppable, plus heading that way!!! Hope that is not to much rambling for this forum or thread. ... That is My Curious Creator Two Cents Take Today :+)

Last edited:
Re: Nissan Energy Share Technology:
This likely deserves a new thread of it's own (maybe I will initiate one later

via Internet Search: Nissan Energy Share: There is more info. about this Energy Sharing idea at this link:

Nissan Energy Share is changing the energy model of the world

"Nissan Energy" is the general term for solutions that use the electricity storage and discharge functions of batteries installed in Nissan electric vehicles (EVs), and further improves their appeal. One of those solutions is Nissan Energy Share, where EVs act as mobile storage batteries to supply homes and society with electricity. Nissan is aiming for a distributable energy model, and will contribute to the stabilization of the supply and demand of electricity in the world."

My Curious Mind also searched for :
... Tesla Energy Share & Tesla Energy Share Technology; and so far, ... I have not yet found specifics; Please share if you do.

I find this a fascinating topic. I am wondering what kind of DIY interfaces might get invented for DIYs wanting to use their EVs as their flexible, portable backup house power supply; and/or as part time batteries they could plug in, integrate, and use to expand the Battery Ahs of their current home solar system. ... Food for Thoughts and Innovations :+)

Re: Nissan Energy Share Technology:
This likely deserves a new thread of it's own (maybe I will initiate one later

via Internet Search: Nissan Energy Share: There is more info. about this Energy Sharing idea at this link:

Nissan Energy Share is changing the energy model of the world

"Nissan Energy" is the general term for solutions that use the electricity storage and discharge functions of batteries installed in Nissan electric vehicles (EVs), and further improves their appeal. One of those solutions is Nissan Energy Share, where EVs act as mobile storage batteries to supply homes and society with electricity. Nissan is aiming for a distributable energy model, and will contribute to the stabilization of the supply and demand of electricity in the world."

My Curious Mind also searched for :
... Tesla Energy Share & Tesla Energy Share Technology; and so far, ... I have not yet found specifics; Please share if you do.

I find this a fascinating topic. I am wondering what kind of DIY interfaces might get invented for DIYs wanting to use their EVs as their flexible, portable backup house power supply; and/or as part time batteries they could plug in, integrate, and use to expand the Battery Ahs of their current home solar system. ... Food for Thoughts and Innovations :+)
I'm wondering how it would work.
Nissan warranties the batteries in the Leaf for 8 years or 100,000 miles, but what happens if they are hooked up to your house and you drop them to 0% SOC every day? No way will they last 8 years. :confused:

I'm wondering how it would work.
Nissan warranties the batteries in the Leaf for 8 years or 100,000 miles, but what happens if they are hooked up to your house and you drop them to 0% SOC every day? No way will they last 8 years. :confused:
Doubt anyone would be running down their EV battery down to 0% SOC. On top of cut -off/ Tech savy protocols (or a user defined cut off limit) that would match load to battery AH abilities. If you already had a Battery based Solar System on line (or not), this idea could expand both you solar system running house load abilities by making a significant increase of battery Ah power available that could be recharged later via solar or grid, - OR - just be a 120vac or 124vac supply to your house during grid loss days, as a stand alone. ... I believe we we eventually see advancements along these lines that will make it more options possible for charging up a battery bank at night, or via solar, and sell those Ahs of power back to Grid at peak use times, and get paid for that/ possible make enough money from just owning a computer and chip integrated set up/ along w government sanctioned laws and protocols, in way for little guys to pay for their batteries. Might sound like a pipe dream, but I think that is where we are heading to deal with the universal threat of Global Warming. When Governments get their act together, in collaboration manner, and join up with ongoing unstoppable innovations in both developments and cost effectiveness of these kind of ideas, I think we will Witness these kind of ideas Taking Off in our lifetimes. My Two Cents :+)

P.S. If you are interested: Here a later thread to check out: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...as-home-backup-power.14970/page-2#post-173783

Last edited:
Back