diy solar

diy solar

Noob trying to mix solar panels

user18

I watched about 15 videos and thought I understood what I was doing before I bought my panels- wrong lol I didn't understand anything

anyway, Ive got
2 Renogy 100 W rigid panels. 20.4V & 4.9A
2 Renogy 200 W rigid panels. 19.2V & 10.42A

Based on my calculations (which could be wrong), wiring in parallel will give me 588.29W, wiring in series would give me 388.08w, and wiring in series parallel would also give 588.29W. am I correct? so obviously wiring in series is a no go.
I'm trying to understand the fundamental difference between parallel and series parallel since mathematically I'm getting them to have the same output. which is the better option here?

Next, I am not fully understanding the MPPT charge controllers, especially not when it comes to mixing panels. would a victron 100/30 cut it or do I need the 100/50? or something else all together?

I already purchased the 3000w multiplus inverter if that makes a difference.

im also thinking ill have 2 200ah lithium batteries to start.

also for the dc-dc charger, I was going to get the Orion 12-12 30A...

Id appreciate any input or insight anyone has to give. my brain is mush after trying to learn all of this. thank you!

I watched about 15 videos and thought I understood what I was doing before I bought my panels- wrong lol I didn't understand anything

anyway, Ive got
2 Renogy 100 W rigid panels. 20.4V & 4.9A
2 Renogy 200 W rigid panels. 19.2V & 10.42A

Based on my calculations (which could be wrong), wiring in parallel will give me 588.29W, wiring in series would give me 388.08w, and wiring in series parallel would also give 588.29W. am I correct? so obviously wiring in series is a no go.
I'm trying to understand the fundamental difference between parallel and series parallel since mathematically I'm getting them to have the same output. which is the better option here?

Next, I am not fully understanding the MPPT charge controllers, especially not when it comes to mixing panels. would a victron 100/30 cut it or do I need the 100/50? or something else all together?

I already purchased the 3000w multiplus inverter if that makes a difference.

im also thinking ill have 2 200ah lithium batteries to start.

also for the dc-dc charger, I was going to get the Orion 12-12 30A...

Id appreciate any input or insight anyone has to give. my brain is mush after trying to learn all of this. thank you!

Those panels can be put in parallel:

4P (about 20V)
or
2S2P (about 40v) - the 100W must be in series with each other, and the 200W must be in series with each other with the two strings in parallel.

Getting nutty:

2S(200W)+(2P(100W))S

In other words... the two 100W in parallel (forming a 200W panel) IN SERIES with the two 200W in series (about 60V).

Those panels can be put in parallel:

4P (about 20V)
or
2S2P (about 40v) - the 100W must be in series with each other, and the 200W must be in series with each other with the two strings in parallel.

Getting nutty:

2S(200W)+(2P(100W))S

In other words... the two 100W in parallel (forming a 200W panel) IN SERIES with the two 200W in series (about 60V).
so is 2S2P a series parallel configuration? giving me roughly 588W?
ive read that your V should be around 20V higher than your battery system.. so it seems like that is the layout to go with?

so is 2S2P a series parallel configuration? giving me roughly 588W?
ive read that your V should be around 20V higher than your battery system.. so it seems like that is the layout to go with?

In most lower voltage MPPT, optimal efficiency is around 1.5X system voltage, so Vmp ~18V.

Higher voltages pay a small conversion penalty, but it's usually offset by less wiring losses.

Shading also plays a big role. If you have shading/partial shading, more parallel is better than more series.

Back