diy solar

diy solar

Not your everyday installation (Part 1?)

Ianmac52

Ianmac52
Hi
Decided to join as I may have something to offer and can certainly do with help occasionally.
I am a semi retired Engineer, I have my own company comprising just me and carry out customer inspections and witness tests on just about anything.
I cobbled together a system a couple of years ago comprising a couple of 80 watt panels from ebay and a grid tie inverter. I monitor the system via a smart plug with a power usage facility, yes, they work both ways so will give you some rudimentary stats. The system feeds into a bank of various sized lead acid batteries, mostly gel, supplied by a mate who works with such things. If you add them up there are a fair number of watt hours there but they are used as a buffer, the charge regulator feeds the batteries and they are fed to a grid tie inverter via a little board that boost the voltage and lets me limit the amps so it feeds about 80 watts into the mains.
I decided I wanted to up this earlier to cover the 400 watt base usage the house has, that's a lot of kit on standby although half of that is from my office PC which is running Blue Iris monitoring 4 cameras (who's paranoid ;)) 24/7.
So I am in the middle of updating the system but you are probably bored now and I need some advice on 18650's getting pinholes so I will shortly post a question.

Welcome to the forums!

Didn't know that, but I like it!
They are a really inexpensive way to monitor output. I also have a Sonoff POWR2 on the supply but they did a firmware update recently and it is very hit and miss now, might change the firmware to custom system, can't beany worse.

Back