diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid grounding with transfer switch

michaelandrew

Hi Everyone - first time post here! I know there are several previous posts concerning grounding and general circuitry, and I've read through several but I have yet to find a direct answer to my specific situation.

I have a 100% off-grid single-phase system (no grid tie) with two 1800 W roof-mounted arrays and a 48V 3kw inverter. The inverter feeds a, Eaton 100 A double-throw transfer switch which in turn feeds the main load center for the cabin. The transfer switch is to allow me to connect my Bluetti (or other generator) during winter or low battery days via a 30 a generator input receptacle. Since it's a single phase system, I used the second hot leg of the transfer switch for my neutral so that the neutrals from the two power sources are completely isolated, and I used the original neutral bus in the switch as my common grounding bus. Neutral and ground are bonded in the TS via a 6 ga jumper.

For grounding electrodes, I have two 8' copper rods in the ground, ~ 6' apart. My current plan is as follows:

1) 6 ga bare copper EGC running from TS neutral bus to both ground rods.
2) 6 ga bare copper EGC from main load center to TS neutral bus
3) Inverter, battery, and generator input case grounding conductors (8 ga green egc) go to a common grounding bus which is in turn connected directly to the first grounding rod.

Does that sound right? Does this setup provide for proper system grounding, or is there a better way to do it? Thanks in advance for any advice!

- michael

Is the bluetthi N-G bonded?

Bonding should happen in only one place and at the source of power. I believe the LV3048 and Victron self-bond

Is the bluetthi N-G bonded?

Bonding should happen in only one place and at the source of power. I believe the LV3048 and Victron self-bond
I'm not sure if the Bluetti is N-G bonded, but there would likely be occasions where a different generator was used, like a small gas-powered honda or something.

generator was used, like a small gas-powered honda or something.
If the transfer is also your disconnect you are fine bonding there but only there. Need to double check that the invertor is not bonded. Smaller generators are almost never bonded, so safe there.

If the transfer is also your disconnect you are fine bonding there but only there. Need to double check that the invertor is not bonded. Smaller generators are almost never bonded, so safe there.
I confirmed that the gen is NOT NG bonded (its a Bluetti AC200Max). How about the grounding conductor from the main breaker panel? Should that be going to the ground bus in the disconnect, or should I run it directly to the grounding rod (or does it matter)?

Back