diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Home 1,956 ft. WITH AC!!

nogridhome

NoGridHome.com
https://nogridhome.com/ This home is entirely off the power grid. I designed and built it to live without the electric company. This is the real deal - It works, I know because I am living it!

Attachments

• IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4573 (1).JPG
    IMG_4573 (1).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5038.JPG
    IMG_5038.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for sharing.

Is this in the US?

Any info on how you constructed those ground mounts??

Edit: I found your quick video on the solar panel array and I think I see enough to figure the mount out.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Is this in the US?

Any info on how you constructed those ground mounts??
North Carolina. I am outright embarrassed at my homegrown ground mounts. They were built as a temporary solution while working out my plan and testing reality. That said - They are treated lumber and basically just laying on the ground. FOR TESTING ONLY. Not a long term solution. I show them and tell how you should not use them in this video:
I have real ground mounts high on my priority list.

Can you provide part numbers for those monster busbars?
Also the din breakers?

You can find the breaker here:

Blue Sea 1993 1000A Powerbar.

Anyone can build any size system. Just add more batteries or panels/chargers as needed. Make certain your inverter and your inverter wiring is large enough to start with.

This "off grid wonder" video collection shows the whole game.
It all starts here:

GOOD LUCK! ALL THE BEST!

North Carolina. I am outright embarrassed at my homegrown ground mounts. They were built as a temporary solution while working out my plan and testing reality. That said - They are treated lumber and basically just laying on the ground. FOR TESTING ONLY. Not a long term solution. I show them and tell how you should not use them in this video:
I have real ground mounts high on my priority list.
Where in NC? Anywhere near Charlotte?

Have you had any issues with pollen build up on the panels during our spring here in NC? At least with ground mount, it's easy to clean the panels of needed. That Pine pollen covers everything although this year wasn't too bad.

Have you had any issues with pollen build up on the panels during our spring here in NC? At least with ground mount, it's easy to clean the panels of needed. That Pine pollen covers everything although this year wasn't too bad.
Yes, it is a big time problem. Part of the reason I spec the number of panels that I do. (1 each 345 watt panel / 1 each 105 ah battery - 60 of each for a "mostly normal" 3 bedroom home). This is my own custom spec. I determined this by experience, based on EVERYTHING. I also would require (at least) an annual cleaning. Rain is great when it cleans your panels! :)

How have you kept all those panels from blowing in strong winds?

I had placed a 50lb sand bag on each of the back corners at first. Later after I modified my mounts to be "low profile" I didn't anchor them with anything. I have many large trees around that break down the wind more than one would think. I have my house on one side keeping the wind from getting behind them. I honestly expected to have damage at some point but I have endured 2 hurricanes. No problems at all. This array with the treated lumber probably weighs over 200 lbs. I still DO NOT recommend this. It is for testing and short term only. I had to know if this was going to work before I got serious about spending $$$. It works! I attached a pic of my future mounts. I have not purchased them yet but I plan to buy them here: https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/

Attachments

• ground-mounted-residential-solar-systems.jpg
    ground-mounted-residential-solar-systems.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 32
I get it, I have 2 panels mounted like yours. they have wheels on the front so I can roll it in and out every day. Mine too is just for testing. Building the permanent mounts this week or so.

Back