diy solar

diy solar

Okay. Now I did it! 34 used solar panels/34 SolarEdge DC optimizers/inverter - Whoah!

Code states something like #6 is the smallest unprotected wire you can use for a ground. #8 or even #10 is often fine when it's in conduit. When it's conduit it's sized on thier ability to clear the fault current without failing themselves.. Still on my first cup of coffee though.
I am interpreting this as follows : I added extra ground bound at the panels using a 6awg bare copper wire at the panels to the junction box. In the conduit, however, I ran 8awg back to the inverter which then also uses 8awg back to the main electrical panel. Sounds similar.

I am interpreting this as follows : I added extra ground bound at the panels using a 6awg bare copper wire at the panels to the junction box. In the conduit, however, I ran 8awg back to the inverter which then also uses 8awg back to the main electrical panel. Sounds similar.
I think you're good!

I connected to back feed breaker and then commissioned the inverter just now and generated some power while the sun was setting!

I need to find a time to meet the electrical inspector now. I can't wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405-184633_mySolarEdge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230405-184633_mySolarEdge.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 13
Electrical work seems logical. I enjoy it. I am going to clean up some dodgy wiring when I am done with the solar!

Attachments

• 20230405_173317.jpg
    20230405_173317.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 25
Electrical work seems logical. I enjoy it. I am going to clean up some dodgy wiring when I am done with the solar!
Just an FYI that white wire on the 60A breaker needs to be changed to any color other than white-gray or green before the electrical inspector sees it.

Just an FYI that white wire on the 60A breaker needs to be changed to any color other than white-gray or green before the electrical inspector sees it.
I agree. Shoddy wiring from prior owner. That 60 amp also has a red conductor that is connected to nothing. I don't know why he used the white. Can I just put a red tape around the white?

I agree. Shoddy wiring from prior owner. That 60 amp also has a red conductor that is connected to nothing. I don't know why he used the white. Can I just put a red tape around the white?
What does that circuit feed? Why not trace it back and rewire the other end so you can use the red and put the white on N?

I am going to trace it and fix before inspector comes. Another question is can I fail inspection if I used thhn and not thhn-2

Attachments

• 20230406_105137.jpg
    20230406_105137.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 10
When the inspector sees that nylon jacket he'll know it's thhn and look no farther.
I just spoke to the electrical supply store and they told me that they only sell one wire. It is rated for all three. Thwn, thhn-2 and thhn.

When the inspector sees that nylon jacket he'll know it's thhn and look no farther.
You scared me, because when I first read your post, I thought the inspector would "look no farther", meaning he would fail me and tell me to replace :)

Waiting for inspections, but there is nothing I can do about my neighbors trees!

Attachments

• PSX_20230409_100107.jpg
    PSX_20230409_100107.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
The white wire went to adjacent panel and was then wire nut connected to another white wire that goes to a contactor and then the outdoor house lights to the sports court. I switched the white for the red and then used the red in the other panel to wire nut to the exiting white.

I think the inspector will like this better

Attachments

• 20230410_205205.jpg
    20230410_205205.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 14
With the great help of this group, I was able to do my own permitted solaredge installation. 25 of the 34 panels went up on my southeast 5/12 pitch ranch house roof. I received my net meter and PTO yesterday. On its maiden voyage today, my solar panels with solaredge 7.6kw inverter made 32kwh! Thank you, everybody!

Attachments

• 20230420_191123.jpg
    20230420_191123.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230421-165035_mySolarEdge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230421-165035_mySolarEdge.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 15
With the great help of this group, I was able to do my own permitted solaredge installation. 25 of the 34 panels went up on my southeast 5/12 pitch ranch house roof. I received my net meter and PTO yesterday. On its maiden voyage today, my solar panels with solaredge 7.6kw inverter made 32kwh! Thank you, everybody!

You've come a long way in a short time. Well done!

It is exhilarating to learn a new skill like this, and I am now want to put up more panels for friends and family :)
I can't believe I started with your cotek 24v 2k inverter for the shed and then moved on to grid tie. Thanks for getting me started!

This was an amazing thread to read. I think this DIY installation went quicker from start to PTO than my professional Freedom Forever install. Like the OP, I picked up a used Solaredge system that was taken down off someone's house before the house was torn down. I didn't get quite as good a deal but $70/panel+optimizer for Jinko 295W panels and $200 for the inverter put me at $2k for 26 panels/optimzers and a 7.6kW inverter. That's basically what I have on my 3 story roof that I paid $27k for.....

I want to build a diy ground mount system following this poster's lead. I threw some panels up and tested the inverter to see if everything was functional and it all looks good but when I go to set up a monitoring site, I get a bad serial number error from the Solaredge site. @BlueMarblePA , I see you have the Solaredge app on your device so assume you were able to set up a monitoring site yourself using installer credentials and your inverter serial number? Did you know the distributor it was purchased from? This is the other piece of info required at the installer site creation page. I would expect you to have the same kind of problem I am having recycling the inverter from a previous site. I wrote to Solaredge and they said I have to go back to the original installer to get them to give me access to the site that was set up for the inverter or if the original installer was out of business, SE could allow a different installer (not me) to set up a site to monitor it but I'd have to hire an installer. I read through your thread expecting to get to a post about problems getting the monitoring set up but it was like magic and you were done! Did you have to do anything special? I'm new here and this is my first post so I'm still searching around and reading so if there's other posts about the topic of repurposing used Solaredge inverters (I haven't found any yet) I apologize and promise not to hijack this nice thread. But if you went over any special things you needed to do to commission or set up monitoring for your inverter, I bet it will help a few other people that end up finding your thread that are trying to do the same thing you did. I was able to perform the commissioning but am stuck at monitoring. I could monitor the total output with a simple energy monitor but won't get panel level visibility without SE's monitoring which is important for me in this particular installation because of bad shading problems.

Great job and thanks for doing such a nice job of documenting what you did! Thank goodness some people are willing to do this. It takes me long enough to do my projects and taking nice photos or videos and putting together a story can really add a lot of time to a project. I've tried to do it with some car repairs to give back to a community that's helped me but I'm not very good at it. Thanks for any tips about setting up the Solaredge monitoring!

This was an amazing thread to read. I think this DIY installation went quicker from start to PTO than my professional Freedom Forever install. Like the OP, I picked up a used Solaredge system that was taken down off someone's house before the house was torn down. I didn't get quite as good a deal but $70/panel+optimizer for Jinko 295W panels and $200 for the inverter put me at $2k for 26 panels/optimzers and a 7.6kW inverter. That's basically what I have on my 3 story roof that I paid $27k for.....

I want to build a diy ground mount system following this poster's lead. I threw some panels up and tested the inverter to see if everything was functional and it all looks good but when I go to set up a monitoring site, I get a bad serial number error from the Solaredge site. @BlueMarblePA , I see you have the Solaredge app on your device so assume you were able to set up a monitoring site yourself using installer credentials and your inverter serial number? Did you know the distributor it was purchased from? This is the other piece of info required at the installer site creation page. I would expect you to have the same kind of problem I am having recycling the inverter from a previous site. I wrote to Solaredge and they said I have to go back to the original installer to get them to give me access to the site that was set up for the inverter or if the original installer was out of business, SE could allow a different installer (not me) to set up a site to monitor it but I'd have to hire an installer. I read through your thread expecting to get to a post about problems getting the monitoring set up but it was like magic and you were done! Did you have to do anything special? I'm new here and this is my first post so I'm still searching around and reading so if there's other posts about the topic of repurposing used Solaredge inverters (I haven't found any yet) I apologize and promise not to hijack this nice thread. But if you went over any special things you needed to do to commission or set up monitoring for your inverter, I bet it will help a few other people that end up finding your thread that are trying to do the same thing you did. I was able to perform the commissioning but am stuck at monitoring. I could monitor the total output with a simple energy monitor but won't get panel level visibility without SE's monitoring which is important for me in this particular installation because of bad shading problems.

Great job and thanks for doing such a nice job of documenting what you did! Thank goodness some people are willing to do this. It takes me long enough to do my projects and taking nice photos or videos and putting together a story can really add a lot of time to a project. I've tried to do it with some car repairs to give back to a community that's helped me but I'm not very good at it. Thanks for any tips about setting up the Solaredge monitoring!
PM sent

Back