diy solar

diy solar

One large panel versus 4 smaller ones

Seasolar

What are pros and cons of using one large 370w solar panel versus four smaller 100w panels on an rv solar system?

Redundancy......one panel gets damaged, you still have three left.
Easy to fit more......Using multiple panels you might be able to fit more watts
Looks serious.......More panels = mo betta

Racking and wire costs are probably reduced with big panels. Easy to handle/move smaller panels. Smaller panels may be stronger physically.

I was worried about damage. I didn't want one event to take out all my solar.

If you have the space for a large panel I would personally go with that as long as the voltage and amps it produces will work with your charge controller. I had to go with small 160w panels due to all the other "stuff" on the roof of my motorhome. -Bill

I went with one 327w mono panel instead of the three 100w I had been planning on using mainly because of a 25lb weight difference (single panel is lighter) on my small trailers roof. Size wise they are almost identical. Single panel has comparable power to the three but as svetz said less wiring and easier mounting. The larger panel has 96 cells and performs much better for me. Is is made by Sunpower and has a double wall aluminum frame on two sides so very strong.

921622F2-2F50-4384-8F98-7614C04863B5.jpeg

Top companies like LG, Sunpower, Canadian, Trina, Panasonic, Hyundai etc compete very hard to make the most efficient and longest lasting large (300w+) panels for residential and commercial use. I don't think they care much about the smaller panels, so they don't get much of the R&D dollars. IOW, I expect a large panel from a top manufacturer to outproduce and outlast the smaller panels sold under various re-sellers names. In full sun you probably won't see much difference, but I'd bet the newer technology is better at dealing with shade, heat, cold etc...

This is all just a SWAG...

I don't do RVs, but I've done several trailers and what we do now is posts on the sides of the trailer,
(wall support instead of pressing down on the roof, think ladder rack)
And a frame above the often convex/curved roofs.

We set the panels into the fame, usually on rubber mounts.
That lets the frame take the tree limb knocks, and twist with the trailer, and good glass panels don't get twisted or beat up.
Panels flush with frame, or frame slightly proud, it's real good protection for the panel and it's more aerodynamic.

Watts are King.
I have nothing against big panels since we whip out the frames depending on the trailer it's going on.
We can push the frame up so roof vents still open somewhat, but the higher you go the more issues you have.

If you do aluminum frames, gusset the corners!
Just overlay the gusset on the joint and weld it down.

Thank you all for the great input and thoughts. Redunantcy is viable concern. Project is still in the design phase, but will post the end results when it's all complete. I'm sure to have many more questions along the way. The redundancy of having multiple panels will be a large factor in making a decision on the panel size question.
Thank you all.

Do you hit lots of low hanging branches? If so, they will probably take out the redundant panel too! (just saying) :unsure: -Bill

If you experience a bit of shading from time to time, wiring multiple panels in parallel will minimize the impact, likewise, many beleive that a higher voltage ( panels in series) provides better low light efficiency. I think the multi panels gives a bit more flexibility. I have 6 panels 3p2s and it's a good compromise. Jon

Large commercial panels will produce their rated output. My experience is limited but I do not have the same confidence in the smaller ones. Again my experience is very limited. I bought some used 295 watt for $60 each. They make about 250 on a good day and will hit 290 on a cool day, even being several years old. I don't think I could find used 100w panels that would compare on pricing. Shipping is the killer unless you by a pallet full.

Back