diy solar

diy solar

One Large MPPT or multiple smaller MPPT

1holaguy

In designing a system I realized I am going to need wither a single large MPPT charge controller or several smaller ones. I pricing these out I can currently get several small MPPT with a combined greater amperage rating for less money than one large one from the same manufacturer. What would be the pros and cons of multiple charge controllers.

Smaller MPPT controllers mean more MPPT trackers with fewer panels in strings. This would optimize the cases with partial shadow. Another benefit is the failure scenario where a single controller fails, but you still get power from the remaining.

A larger controller usually means higher MPPT voltage support. This will result in simpler wiring of the system and likely lower voltage losses.

In designing a system I realized I am going to need wither a single large MPPT charge controller or several smaller ones. I pricing these out I can currently get several small MPPT with a combined greater amperage rating for less money than one large one from the same manufacturer. What would be the pros and cons of multiple charge controllers.
One large mppt would be easier and maybe cheaper when you add up the cost of extra wiring to hook up several smaller ones. Having said that....redundancy would be a plus if one mppt went bad you could still charge while waiting for a replacement charge controller.

I had the same dilemma too, but I decided on two smaller MPPT controllers for the redundancy. That is, if one failed I still have the other one.

Back