diy solar

diy solar

Multiple MPPT Solar Charge Controllers to the same battery bank

ArranP

I am aware that multiple Victron MPPT solar charge controlleres can be connected ( in parallel ) to the same battery bank.

I approached a budget manufacturer POWMr and asked them if multiples of their MPPT charge controllers can be connected to the same battery bank and they replied "Parallel connection is not possible because the battery readings of the two machines will affect each other"

I have just been unlucky and got a misinformed tech/sales individual ?

True that the chargers will influence each other's voltage readings, because you can't apply a charge current without producing a voltage rise. This in no way precludes use though.

Speaking of Victron, if you can feed the MPPTs with a direct voltage measure, you eliminate this issue. A smartshunt in a VE.Smart network with one or more MPPT feeds the open circuit voltage and current (and temperature if smartshunt equipped with a sensor) to the MPPT thus eliminating the charger-measured voltage value that's influenced by current and wiring resistance.

Allegedly, some EPEVER models can be connected to coordinate charging among multiple MPPTs.

Last edited:
Worst case scenario the 2 controllers read slightly different voltages from the same battery and one of them goes into "stop charging, battery full" mode when the other one tops off the last little bit.

Yep, and the effect is minimal. I have been running parallel MPPT controllers (of different brands) on the same battery pack for many months without issues.

Victron SCC's CAN be in parallel as they can link & communicate with each other & use the Smartshunt to control the affair. Midnite Solar Classic SCC's (and the new Hawk Bay & Barcelona's too) can be linked in parallel as well (they use the WizBangJr Smartshunt for managing). Now these are not Value Grade cheapsters !

It CAN be sone with cheapo stuff as well BUT you have to do the hard math & hard thinking to make it work just right. That means really making sure that all voltages, losses & the biases are accounted for. Yes there is a BIAS issue which few ever mention... an SCC will read voltage differently whether it is charging or not. Some have offset settings to help account for that while many SCC's do not and you have to correct the settings manually, even for as little as 0.5 volts difference... believe it or not a 1/2 Volt difference with Lithium Based batteries can cause weird issues. Fact is, that wire, connections (lugs etc) all increase losses and resistance and that must be accounted for.

It CAN be sone with cheapo stuff as well BUT you have to do the hard math & hard thinking to make it work just right.

Like what? Just set them for the same voltage and walk away. No hard math or hard thinking required. As noted above, mine are working just fine. Am I "maybe" loosing a watt or two? Maybe, but not enough to even give a second thought to.

Like what? Just set them for the same voltage and walk away. No hard math or hard thinking required. As noted above, mine are working just fine. Am I "maybe" loosing a watt or two? Maybe, but not enough to even give a second thought to.
I agree, just hook it to the DC bus and let it do it's thing.

Steve usually you post some good stuff but in this case I don't see the reasoning. I don't use any communication between SCC's. If I do add more PV down the road, I will use some of the MPPT's in the LV6548's I'm not using now. It will work just fine.

Whatever amount of SCC's you have 2 or 4 or 6 etc.,.. They ALL need to see the battery bank voltage exactly the same, their settings need to match up as well, lest one be doing bulk while another is floating etc... All wire, lugs etc add resistance & voltage loss, not a lot per piece but it is cumulative across the entire "string" as it were. IF you are using identical SCC's that's easier to setup but if you geta mix of them, that's when interesting things start to popup... talk abouit chasing wild cats...

I use Midnite Classics, Paralleled using network cables between them and interconnected via the E-Panel with the WizBangJr Smart Shunt. Even adding in a Midnite Kidd Controller into the mix (standalone) caused some quirks & foibles. BUT never mind my experiences... what do I know.

Whatever amount of SCC's you have 2 or 4 or 6 etc.,.. They ALL need to see the battery bank voltage exactly the same, their settings need to match up as well, lest one be doing bulk while another is floating etc..

Even IF one sees a different voltage (only really matters or at near full charge), the other one will pick up the slack. Really a non-issue.

And once you are at the float threshold, current has dropped significantly meaning the minor resistance differences (if any) will also be negligible.

Last edited:
Whatever amount of SCC's you have 2 or 4 or 6 etc.,.. They ALL need to see the battery bank voltage exactly the same, their settings need to match up as well, lest one be doing bulk while another is floating etc...

It really doesn't matter. I run a pair of SCC's to a positive and negative busbar, then a larger cable to a Victron 1000A busbar. The Victron is where the 4/0 cables from batteries go to and each inverter has 2/0 running to it from that busbar. The setup is shown in one of my videos.

At close to 100% SOC, one SCC might be inputting 300W and another 600W. It doesn't matter, it would be the same as when panels on one array are shaded and potential power to the SCC is limited, while another array that isn't shaded can supply full power to another SCC for that array. Both will feed the DC bus depending on what loads are on the SCC's, doesn't matter if that power is going to inverters or the battery bank.

I also see this as no different than multiple MPPT's in an AIO with some strings shaded and some not. Power is put on the DC bus according to load on that bus.
All wire, lugs etc add resistance & voltage loss, not a lot per piece but it is cumulative across the entire "string" as it were. IF you are using identical SCC's that's easier to setup but if you geta mix of them, that's when interesting things start to popup... talk abouit chasing wild cats...

I have yet to see a single problem and I've been running the pair of EG4's since late July. Many days of 4.5Kw input from 4.24Kw of panels per SCC.

Once constant voltage charging is hit both SCC's cut back on output.

I use Midnite Classics, Paralleled using network cables between them and interconnected via the E-Panel with the WizBangJr Smart Shunt. Even adding in a Midnite Kidd Controller into the mix (standalone) caused some quirks & foibles. BUT never mind my experiences... what do I know.
Quite possibly if you are using some type of communication hub to link battery BMS's to SCC's, then you might experience what you are seeing. I don't use any comms, I don't think it is necessary.

Yes it is no problem. I use 5 MPPTs on the same battery bank. One of them is a powmr, (rebranded iPanda explorer series).

As someone mentioned set all the charge settings the same. Even if one mppt is off by .1v, you can compensate for that in the settings or leave it and it will only come into play as they reach the very top of charge.

Yep, and the effect is minimal. I have been running parallel MPPT controllers (of different brands) on the same battery pack for many months without issues.
I am looking at two MPPT 100/48 charge controllers (EG4 MPPT500vdc100A)... not sure if it will work to keep the Absolyte GX 48v/2,000A battery fully charged. Still studying and trying to learn best method(s) to accomplish our being off grid.

I am looking at two MPPT 100/48 charge controllers (EG4 MPPT500vdc100A)... not sure if it will work to keep the Absolyte GX 48v/2,000A battery fully charged. Still studying and trying to learn best method(s) to accomplish our being off grid.
What do you want to know about them? I run a pair of them. I have an older video out there showing settings and how I wired them in. You can find it on Youtube.

These will only have communication with EG4 batteries. I don't need communication for them, I just run USER settings. These will also not report the PV harvested each day and won't export any data to Solar Assistant.

There is a firmware update for these, the units I had would occasionally set a code under low light conditions. The firmware addressed that code and the 2 units have worked flawlessly since then. I installed one in July last year and the other in first week of August.

What do you want to know about them? I run a pair of them. I have an older video out there showing settings and how I wired them in. You can find it on Youtube.

These will only have communication with EG4 batteries. I don't need communication for them, I just run USER settings. These will also not report the PV harvested each day and won't export any data to Solar Assistant.

There is a firmware update for these, the units I had would occasionally set a code under low light conditions. The firmware addressed that code and the 2 units have worked flawlessly since then. I installed one in July last year and the other in first week of August.
Thanks, Doc - I appreciate all the direction in the past week and a half in regard to the charge controller. Been online and on the phone with Schneider, Midnite Solar and Signature Solar. I think that your charge controllers seem to fit the bill for our needs but I will have to rewire the Conext SW4048 which has the Classic 150 prewired (I think)...still working on it for sizing solar arrays/strings. The snow hasn't helped in the past week either - can't get up the mountain to the sea container...lol. Blessings and Good Cheer!

Thanks, Doc - I appreciate all the direction in the past week and a half in regard to the charge controller. Been online and on the phone with Schneider, Midnite Solar and Signature Solar. I think that your charge controllers seem to fit the bill for our needs but I will have to rewire the Conext SW4048 which has the Classic 150 prewired (I think)...still working on it for sizing solar arrays/strings. The snow hasn't helped in the past week either - can't get up the mountain to the sea container...lol. Blessings and Good Cheer!
If you want to track your PV production directly, you can always use a Victron Smartshunt after the charge controllers set as an energy meter. I've thought of adding one. I can track production in other ways, the shunt would allow knowing production and also some time limited data storage.

I've been quite impressed with the EG4 units. I saw again yesterday both MPPT's were pulling 4.5Kw at peak sun from 4.2Kw of panels. I do recommend slightly underpaneling the EG4 MPPT's, this allows pulling full rating from panels.

Back