diy solar

diy solar

Multiple MPPT Solar Charge Controllers to the same battery bank

Mocroinverters are a set output device.
Installing 360W on a 360W microcontroller will only produce 360W at peak production.
Installing 660W on a 360W controller gets you 360W 99% of the time...
But never 660W...
Its all about what you can produce.
Sure, you could buy more controllers, but they are pricy.
And more controllers still might not get you what overpanneling will.

If setup to do so, yes.

Yes, I agree.
Installing 360W on a 360W microcontroller will only produce 360W at peak production.

I agree.
I see. Most of the time I see micro on grid tie, the micro is something like 295W and panels are 300W.

If output of the panel is less than 360W, does the micro shut down?

But never 660W...

Agree on that point.

If you have a 10Kw array, but have overpanneled to lets say 11Kw, on that cloudy day when 10Kw would have given you 3Kw, you will now get about 3.3Kw . How can you not understand that?

And lets not talk just about cloudy days, People with fixed angle arrays may also overpanel for the winter when the sun is lower. As for clipping, even on a matched system (i.e. 10Kw array and 10Kw SCC), the array will only output max on a perfect day when the temperature is good and the angle is perfect. So overpaneling a bit will most likely not have much clipping at all except when conditions are great, but will allow for more production when conditions are not ideal.

I really don't think you are understanding what overpaneling even means.
I just have a temporary system set up. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised how much they produce even when it’s very overcast. With the over paneling that I plan on doing, I should have no problems powering up my place even when it’s cloudy.

But never 660W...
Especially in mobile usage (where battery capacity is limited, either by space or weight) 'overpaneling' can have substantial benefits- a small battery bank have have low maximum charge rates, where having the full output of the array would have substantial effect on the service life of the battery pack, reducing it substantially...

By 'clipping' the peak output, you get a longer, lower 'peak' that is still within the battery packs capabilities, and an extended charging time- meaning a better overall daily total gathered in comparison to 'underpaneling' or matched outputs

Lithium cells with their higher maximum charge rate have improved the situation, but not enough that in many cases overpaneling is still a good option for maximising daily production potential...

I just have a temporary system set up. And I’ve been pleasantly surprised how much they produce even when it’s very overcast. With the over paneling that I plan on doing, I should have no problems powering up my place even when it’s cloudy.
How much battery do you have and what are the loads?

Don't overspend on the battery............

:ROFLMAO:

If you want to track your PV production directly, you can always use a Victron Smartshunt after the charge controllers set as an energy meter. I've thought of adding one. I can track production in other ways, the shunt would allow knowing production and also some time limited data storage.

I've been quite impressed with the EG4 units. I saw again yesterday both MPPT's were pulling 4.5Kw at peak sun from 4.2Kw of panels. I do recommend slightly underpaneling the EG4 MPPT's, this allows pulling full rating from panels.
That would be a definite goal to know how much we are able to produce. Thanks, Doc!

Back