diy solar

diy solar

2 separate Arrays connected to 2 separate charge controllers to one bank in parallel?

prkrgrp

i have 2 separate panel arrays in series (90volts with 39 amps) I want to connect each one to separate controllers 60a 150 volts and connect those 2 controllers to my battery bank which is 2 100ah 12v and one 200ah 12volt same battery. batteries will be in parallel my research is mixed most of the videos I have watched have good reviews and application was verified on the videos most no's are from forums

i have 2 separate panel arrays in series (90volts with 39 amps) I want to connect each one to separate controllers 60a 150 volts and connect those 2 controllers to my battery bank which is 2 100ah 12v and one 200ah 12volt same battery. batteries will be in parallel my research is mixed most of the videos I have watched have good reviews and application was verified on the videos most no's are from forums
Apart from the batteries- your system sounds identical to my 'temporary' system running the caravan and the shed here...
750w facing north, 750w facing west
1708151099000.png
3 series 250w 30v Vmp panels feed each controller (60A150v)
1708151264514.png
1708151229060.png
The only thing you need to watch- the battery outputs get connected together at the battery bank, but the solar PV inputs MUST be completely independent...
In the best generating conditions here (spring and autumn) I get around the 40A mark from them at 90v

I do not know which Forums you are referring to giving you "No' as the answer. However it could be because your description is a bit fuzzy. "Separate panel arrays in series", Likely should simply be stated as 2 separate panel arrays. You will see tons of posts about multiple SCC being used to charge one battery bank. Many of us do this including me. I presently have 3 arrays feeding 3 SCC's to one battery bank with many parallel connected batteries of different capacity (same voltage).

Only 1 SCC (MPPT) to an array. Panels can be connected in parallel or series to form groups or strings. Strings of panels can be combined to form an Array.

Reactions: Bop
I do not know which Forums you are referring to giving you "No' as the answer. However it could be because your description is a bit fuzzy. "Separate panel arrays in series", Likely should simply be stated as 2 separate panel arrays. You will see tons of posts about multiple SCC being used to charge one battery bank. Many of us do this including me. I presently have 3 arrays feeding 3 SCC's to one battery bank with many parallel connected batteries of different capacity (same voltage).

Only 1 SCC (MPPT) to an array. Panels can be connected in parallel or series to form groups or strings. Strings of panels can be combined to form an Array.
I've come across this myself, for some reason some people think you can't run multiple MPPTs in parallel- the usual reason I have heard is that they 'fight each other', which is obviously nonsense- each MPPT sees the battery as its sink as usual- they don't care what the other/s are doing- if the system voltage is lower than its programmed voltage, it tries its best to bring it up to the required voltage set by the programming inside it...
As long as the 'solar' sides remain independent there is no issue at all

And I thought my own 4 external and two internal MPPT charge controllers for the house was extreme lol
Be fun wiring that lot up... (NOT!!!)

TEST DAY:
so I connected 1 array of 3 panels in series and and #2 array of 3 panels in series connected array 1 to the new hgst controller and array 2 to my epever controller connect each to 2 100ah 12v battery bank in parallel I have 13 45w led grow lights in the grow room connected to a 2000 w inverter mostly sunny today so far no problem the epever controller is about 5 seconds slower on reaction time to the hqst but both controllers were within .2 of each other and both weize batteries were charged full at 13.6 v so far they have been running the lights for 5 hours my next test will be connecting another weize 200 ah 12v to the bank and a 3rd array of 3 panels

thanks for correcting my grammar

I've come across this myself, for some reason some people think you can't run multiple MPPTs in parallel- the usual reason I have heard is that they 'fight each other', which is obviously nonsense- each MPPT sees the battery as its sink as usual- they don't care what the other/s are doing- if the system voltage is lower than its programmed voltage, it tries its best to bring it up to the required voltage set by the programming inside it...
As long as the 'solar' sides remain independent there is no issue at all
What i come across replying mppt fight each other is when the question comes up asking if two different mppt can be hooked to a single solar array.
And that answer is a definite NO...
Because the mppt's DEFINITELY would fight each other trying to get a stable vmp.

What i come across replying mppt fight each other is when the question comes up asking if two different mppt can be hooked to a single solar array.
And that answer is a definite NO...
Because the mppt's DEFINITELY would fight each other trying to get a stable vmp.
Yeah I know that (which is why I emphasised that the solar side should always be entirely separate), but some take that to mean that multiple MPPT controllers can't be used at all- and become quite heated about it when told they are wrong and they most certainly can lol
Some other insist that the controllers have to be 'matched' same brand, same capacity- lol, they don't even need to be the same type, there are many systems running with a mixture of PWM and MPPT on the same battery bank

(there's a LOT of misinfo floating around the net about solar, one of the more common ones is that you HAVE to have solar panels in parallel and voltage matched- even for MPPT's- some people get rather irate and loud about it HAS to be that way, even when shown actual manufacturers specs that show many higher voltage MPPTs wont even charge at all if wired that way, or at best function in PWM mode- totally negating the advantages of using MPPT in the first place... usually the same people also decry MPPT as a 'waste of money and they don't work- just a way to rip people off' well DUH- wire them up in parallel like they suggested and of course they don't work lol)

Yeah, i am sure there are a lot of knowitall people out there that infer issues and are adamant about them.
Sigh.
Plodding along now...

Reactions: Bop
Back