diy solar

diy solar

Grounding “Simple” System Panel Arrays?

Griddownprepper

I will be installing what I believe is a “simple” panel system. I have 2 Ecoflow Delta Pros with extra battery for each (14+kw). I want to roof mount (6) 425w panels into 2 separate arrays, connected in series, to charge each generator. I have searched online and watched several installation videos, most all of which show attachment of ground lugs and state that, installed properly, the entire array will be bonded as one unit. Ok, I get that. I’ve yet to find a video showing the actual connection to a grounding rod. I see most of the folks here have “complicated” systems with large arrays, optimizers, inverters, charge controllers, battery banks, etc. So grounding these systems is probably more intricate and absolutely necessary. Questions:
Do I need to ground these panels? Do I need to ground the arrays separately or can I bond them together? If separate, do I need two ground rods? Is insulated ground wire better than bare? Do I simply run the ground wire(s) across roof then to the ground rod(s)? Thanks, and please pardon my ignorance.

I will be installing what I believe is a “simple” panel system. I have 2 Ecoflow Delta Pros with extra battery for each (14+kw). I want to roof mount (6) 425w panels into 2 separate arrays, connected in series, to charge each generator. I have searched online and watched several installation videos, most all of which show attachment of ground lugs and state that, installed properly, the entire array will be bonded as one unit. Ok, I get that. I’ve yet to find a video showing the actual connection to a grounding rod. I see most of the folks here have “complicated” systems with large arrays, optimizers, inverters, charge controllers, battery banks, etc. So grounding these systems is probably more intricate and absolutely necessary. Questions:
Do I need to ground these panels? Do I need to ground the arrays separately or can I bond them together? If separate, do I need two ground rods? Is insulated ground wire better than bare? Do I simply run the ground wire(s) across roof then to the ground rod(s)? Thanks, and please pardon my ignorance.
Because the Delta Pro is considered a portable system. I normally would say not to worry about it. But since you are permanently installing the arrays, I would recommend grounding.
Just bond them all together and run a single green insulated #10 down to your existing grounding for your house.
This can be to the service panel, existing ground rod, or the intersystems bonding connection (if one exists) on the outside of your house.

Back