diy solar

diy solar

One or two holes for wires on van roof?

Maggie Belle

I am about to secure my cable gland to my roof, but I routed both wires for solar through one hole in my roof and I am now seeing most people make two holes. Is it OK for me to run the wires together in one hole?

If you use two holes, you can get a properly sized rubber grommet for each hole. Grommets are sized according to three dimensions:

1. The diameter of the drilled hole
2. The diameter of the cable (matches the diameter of the hole in the grommet)
3. The thickness of the material into which the grommet is installed

So, by using two holes and properly sized grommets, everything will be perfect. But yes, you can get by with less than perfect by using a single larger hole. But if you do, it is still important to get the properly sized grommet based on each of the three dimensions. If the grommet is improperly sized and were to fall out, the edge of the sheetmetal would likely saw through your cables.

If you cannot redo it using two holes, make certain that you protect the cables from any possibility of abrasion as the van vibrates, rattles and shakes down the road for years to come.

The hole in the roof is covered by the gland, right? As long as the hole(s) in the roof are sealed and covered to be water tight the entrance is fine.

If this is the grommet in the grip where the wire emerges from the gland.... you can get a two hole grip.

solar-cable-connector-cord-grip-cable-gland-for-2-10-solar-cables-2-24-diameter-each-nylon-liquid-tight-grip-1-2-trade-size.jpg

Ok. thanks everyone. I stuck with the one hole I already had. The grommet seems stable. I may tape it a little on the inside. It does have a gland over it.

One hole, one gland with two ports in the gland. I might fill in the area between the wire and the hole with some non-silicone caulk or even some Dicor Lap Sealant. Something as a last line of defense in case the seal around the gland fails.

Back