diy solar

diy solar

Panel Mounting on 5th wheel roof

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
I currently have 1200w on the roof.
Started with factory limited amountn, added to it, taking off one panel... Four mounting holes patched
Added an additional panel
Took off the 2nd factory panel and my new panels, eight holes patched
Added six new panels

It looks like at least one panel mount to the foot has loosened, and the only way to tighten it is to pull the mounting feet off the roof, but if one is loose, others could be at risk too

I'd like to add two more panels, but both have to be lifted. One over the bath sky light, the other over the fridge vent.

Does it make more sense to add in a rail system for all 8 panels and patch 24 holes? Swiss cheese comes to mind :( Or should I just add a rail for the two new panels and use the existing holes for all the other panels after I fix the loose attachments?

I currently have 1200w on the roof.
Started with factory limited amountn, added to it, taking off one panel... Four mounting holes patched
Added an additional panel
Took off the 2nd factory panel and my new panels, eight holes patched
Added six new panels

It looks like at least one panel mount to the foot has loosened, and the only way to tighten it is to pull the mounting feet off the roof, but if one is loose, others could be at risk too

I'd like to add two more panels, but both have to be lifted. One over the bath sky light, the other over the fridge vent.

Does it make more sense to add in a rail system for all 8 panels and patch 24 holes? Swiss cheese comes to mind :( Or should I just add a rail for the two new panels and use the existing holes for all the other panels after I fix the loose attachments?
If you can afford the rails I'd put all of them on rails and also make a way to tilt them when your stopped for a while. I don't have rails but can tilt all 8 panels to either side.

If you can afford the rails I'd put all of them on rails and also make a way to tilt them when your stopped for a while. I don't have rails but can tilt all 8 panels to either side.
I have no plans for tilting. Getting too old to climb up on the roof at every stop. Do you have a a favorite rail?

I have no plans for tilting. Getting too old to climb up on the roof at every stop. Do you have a a favorite rail?
No, I didn't use rails, couldn't afford too.
I know the feeling about age and climbing up the ladder too the roof. I have been up and down the ladder a ton since September when I started mounting the panels. But I discovered very quickly even flat you will need to go up and clean the leaves off and occasionally to clean the panels. Now they tilt I don't have to clean leaves off unless they land on them when raining so fewer trips up and twice the power! And if you do tilt them you only have to change the tilt every so often.

Back