diy solar

diy solar

Opinions on the cheep Chinese power supplys

Johndobbs

I saw one of Will's recent videos where he talked about top balancing the cells.
I do not have a bench power supply but I have this cheap Chinese one I just want to get opinions on if this is okay to use for top balancing or get a better one from Amazon?
It is 50 volts at 20 amps.
IMG_20200203_163148163_HDR.jpg

The reason he uses a bench power supply is because, with it, he can set the charge voltage and limit the charge current. If your units can do both of these things, then yes!

To be more specific, you need to be able to set the voltage at 3.65V (for LiFePO4) with a 1C current limit. The power supply will then deliver a 1C charge current until it reaches 3.65V, the current will then drop whilst maintaining 3.65V (NB for LiFePO4 batteries, this will happen quite quickly). This is called a CC/CV charging profile.

Got the battery top balanced but I'm wondering if my Chinese bench power supply might not be that good.
It only charge to pack up to 98%
Now that I have the BMS hooked up and the battery wired up I'm going to try it again if it doesn't work to 100% then I'm going to buy one of the ones that will has from Amazon

I would be more worried of using cheap low quality BMSs to protect your expensive batteries. Yes i know most of all BMSs and solar equipment are assembled in China, however there are differences in quality and parts. As shown, BMSs not matching published specs.

Back