diy solar

diy solar

Your thoughts on the 600-700 Watt chinese Micro inverters

Larry185

I purchased a couple of these WVC-600 AND WVC-700-Watt chinese micro inverters about 18 months ago for testing purposes only and they seem to being do pretty good so far. they are set up for 110 but they state they can be configured for 230 volts. So far they have not burned up and have been running for app. 15 months..Just wondered if any of you have ran this things and have had any issues..My panels are used and are the Jinko 305 watt panels. I did go through a lot of issues getting the approval from our local power company to get everything approved, but finally got the OK..I have attached or tried to attach a youtube video below to help understand what I did..Post your opinions on these chinese inverters. My next test will be with the enphase IQ7-Plus inverters. I found a deal on 4 of them, just need the time to hook them up..

Time to throw the breaker. Got it approved finally

I had the WVC-600 and WVC-1200.
The main problem was overheating, especially with the 600. This would overheat during peak solar production, and stop producing AC for about 10 minutes, then continue. I actually had two of these (600), after one simply got faulty.
Yes, I did overpanel somewhat, connected two 455w panels to it (one to each of the MPPT inputs). But they were still in the VOC range of the microinverter. I tried adding a heatsink, but didn't help.
Mine were outside, in a metal enclosure a few meters from panels, in a shaded spot. I even added 12v DC fans to the enclosure to help with cooling (we get around 32 deg C out here in the summer).
Nothing helped.

So then I got the 1200w model, but for some reason it didn't like my 455w panels (~46v VOC). It was as if it had some over voltage protection and would not start MPP tracking. It did work with some smaller panels at 36v.
So I don't know if my specific unit was faulty, or if they just specified the wrong max voltage on this model (which is 50v MPPT, 55v Max, IIRC).

Anyways, I got rid of them and got a DEYE SUN 2000W microinverter. This was was more costly, but had been running for a year and a half now without issues. It has massive cooling fins compared to the WVC ones and has 4 MPPT inputs up to 60v each.

So depending on the location of your installation, your mileage may vary...
Keep tabs of the heat on them, or they will fail fast.
I also didn't like the app. It gave minimal information.

Anyways, I got rid of them and got a DEYE SUN 2000W microinverter. This was was more costly, but had been running for a year and a half now without issues. It has massive cooling fins compared to the WVC ones and has 4 MPPT inputs up to 60v each.

I wonder how this compares with Hoymiles HMS-2000 which has similar features (4 MPPT and 2000W/VA output. For monster panels). Quick search gives a video in French, which I unfortunately don't speak.

How the hell did you get them to agree? Those don't appear to be UL listed.
They are also socket connected... I doubt any regulation would allow that.

Edit: just saw the second video, I guess the sockets were temporarily connected. Second video shows a hardwire connection.

I wonder how this compares with Hoymiles HMS-2000 which has similar features (4 MPPT and 2000W/VA output. For monster panels). Quick search gives a video in French, which I unfortunately don't speak.
I don't know, but the Deye has massive cooling fins and feels robust to me (compared to the WVC).
6324229ba6d68.png

HMS-2000, it is listed in a crap ton of jurisdictions.
Hoymiles_HMS_1600_2000_NA-2_frankensolar__66062.1675808883.1280.1280__18139.1675809100.jpg

I've never seen one in the metal but I do have an HM1500 and HM700 in my workbench waiting to be installed. SUPER heavy duty, lots of metal everywhere. You could use them as a club when SHTF. (Interestingly, Enphase markets their "light, polymer construction with no need for grounding" in the IQ series as a selling point. I guess everyone has their preferences).

This is the video. Oops it's portuguese, not French.

Back