diy solar

diy solar

Production Meter with Hybrid Inverters

GeoOkie

Hello. Long time stalker on the forum and first time poster.

I've seen some discussion on this topic but nothing about possible solutions.

I installed a Solark 15K last August and am having challenges with my local utility regarding DER connection. Their interconnection specifications required a production DER meter to be placed after the inverter and before the main distribution panel. The 15K is of course not a “traditional” inverter and doesn’t allow for this type of connection having the built in automatic transfer switch. I asked the utility before designing the system and the recommendation directly from the program manager said to “install the meter right after the inverter before the break to the panel” and that “other companies have been able to install the same inverter meeting those standards”.

So I submitted a full set of plans for their approval adding a base for a production meter after the inverter before the main distribution panel and received no issues with their lengthy approval process. Fast forward a few months after system installation is complete, the technician comes out to install the production meter and the response is…this won’t work as it doesn’t meet our connection standards. He got on the phone with an engineer back in the office and ended up leaving after about an hour on the phone saying that he needed to talk further with them as there should be a way to make this work. Four months later I haven’t been able to make much progress with getting a solution from the utility. The inverter has been working fantastically with a meter bypass jumper in the location of the DER meter. I’m simply not getting credit for the power I send back to the utility. ☹️

Have any other of folks here had a similar issue with any of the hybrid style inverters like the Solark 15k or EG4 18K and their utility? Were you able to figure out a solution?

I still think it is ridiculous that they require a DER production meter as a bi-directional production meter at the main meter can determine the energy usage at the site. My thinking is they probably want this production meter to help determine the overall site usage to determine if they need to change net meter plans in the future.

Here is the one-line for those interested:

1705182957894.png

Thanks!

Back