diy solar

diy solar

Used EG4 3000 watt inverters question.

DavePaulson

I am brand new to solar. Would it be a good idea to buy two used EG4 3000 W inverters? They were originally purchased in about January, and I’m pretty sure they were exchanged as part of the upgrade program so they are only a few months old. What would an appropriate price be for these? As far as size goes, I think this would be a good fit for my first system. I have good mechanical skills and average computer skills.

Last edited:
This is a starter system and I think they will. I will most likely get a bigger system in the future.

These models typically consume about 40W EA 24/7, so the two together will eat about 1.9kWh/day - that's about 40% of a 48V/100Ah server rack battery... that's if you use no loads whatsoever.

This is about $600 worth of battery just for the honor of turning them on.

This might be set up at a remote garage, and the inverters would not necessarily have to be powered on all the time. I would be running basic power tools, a propane furnace and lights for maybe four hours a day off and on.

This is a starter system and I think they will. I will most likely get a bigger system in the future.
Should be a good learning setup. And might be more permanent that you expect if your loads and supply (solar panels) match each other over time.

Price wise is a bit hard to say because used solar equipment in that range does not have much of a resale market. Look at new prices for similar rated AIO's and decide if it seems reasonable.

Thank you sunshineeggo and Matt4b. The current version of this inverter sells for $675.00. So $400 a piece would be fair then? And yes at this location this may be permanent. I live in MN so not sure what to do for batteries in the winter as I won't be heating this for a week at a time.

Back