diy solar

diy solar

Orion XS not worky in charge mode

corn18

Village Idiot
I installed my Orion XS a while ago but never looked at it. Looked at it today. Batteries were 70% and accepting 100A from solar so I turned off the solar and looked at the XS. Seems it was just passing through what the truck put out: 13.5V @ 8A. So I switched to power supply mode and then it put out 13.5V @ 18A output and 11.7V @ 20A for input. Current limits were set to 20A. Switched back to charger mode and it was back to pass through mode. I turned off the low voltage cutoff for both modes but that didn't help the charge mode.

Any idears why the charge mode is not doing anything?

"Batteries were 70%"... says what? What is actual battery voltage, that is what determines the XS output. My victron charger has 5 voltages it goes to and looks at and tapers off amps depending on actual battery voltage and whether it thinks it is in bulk, float, maintenance, etc.

Just assuming 70% and thus that you should be in full bulk charge is a terrible assumption and thought process... the only thing that matters to your XS is the voltage it is seeing and the 15 settings you have in there.

For instance... here are my IP67 settings for non-victron Lifepo4 batteries, recommended peripherally by Victron and Current Connect in some arcane hard to find white paper. The default settings for LFP that Victron uses are different, and Victron specifically says they are not sufficient for non-victron batteries.
Charge Voltage Settings:
Absorption Voltage: 14.6v
Float Voltage: 13.8v
Storage Voltage: 13.6v
Recondition Voltage: Disabled
BatterySafe: Disabled

Voltage Compensation:
Temperature Compensation: Disabled

Bulk:
Bulk Time Limit: 24 Hours
Re-bulk Current: Enabled, set to full output current of charger, typically 25A

Absorption:
Absorption Duration: Fixed
Absorption Time: 1 Hr
Repeated Absorption: Every 7 days

Recondition:
Recondition Stop Mode: Fixed time
Recondition Duration: 15M (This is the minimum allowed setting. It is already disabled in charge voltage settings, but set to this as a safety precaution)
=========

I can see 8 settings right there that would stop you from getting full 20A. All the voltages, recondition enabled, voltage compensation enabled, bulk time limit exceeded, rebulk current set to less than 20A, Absorption duration time exceeded, repeat Absorption not triggered between 7 days, recondition mode enabled and set longer than 15 min and charge profile voltage changes enough to trigger it...

Unless you post all this, it is a complete crapshoot what's happening.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back