diy solar

diy solar

Our off grid cabin Victron/Trophy setup

barthold

Hi All,

Here’s my setup for our off grid cabin that we recently completed. Goal was to have enough battery and solar to basically (almost) never have to run the generator. The cabin consumes more electricity in the winter than the summer, due to having to run the furnace, and of course there’s less solar hours in the winter. On an average winter day, we consume 12 to 17 KWh. With the setup below, I can run 5 to 6 days before the generator will have to kick in, which is plenty of time. It hardly ever is cloudy for that long in a row over here.

The cabin has only one 220V load, and that is the well pump (about 11A @ 220V). In the future there will be an electric vehicle 20A or 30A 230V outlet as well.

I started out with Full River AGM batteries and an Outback inverter/mppt/mate system, but I didn’t like either enough to keep them. The long tail to get the AGM batteries fully charged is a waste of solar hours, and the (pretty extreme) capacity degradation in the cold, plus the fact that to get the optimal amount of cycles you should not discharge to about 60% SOC, made the AGMs less than ideal. The outback system simply isn’t as cool or flexible as a Victron setup, so that had to go as well.

So this is the setup:
  • Five Trophy 304Ah lithium batteries, for a total of 1520 Ah @ 51V, or about 77 KWh. Love those batteries!
  • Victron MultiPlus-II 48/10000/140-100/100 inverter (230V model)
  • Victron 100A Autotransformer to feed a standard electrical panel for my 110V needs
  • Victron Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/200
  • Victron CerboGX with GX Tank 140 (super cool! I can monitor the amount of drinking water in my 3000 gallon cistern that way)
    • Relay 1 of the CerboGX is used to control the well pump, when the water level in the cistern is getting low
  • Two Victron BMV 712 battery monitors. One is hooked up to the CerboGX to provide SOC, and battery temp. The other is just there so I can ALSO see the SOC in the cabin, on the display of the BMV 712.
    • Whenever I get the Trophy batteries to talk to the CerboGX, one of them can go. Working with Dan @ Trophy on making this happen, but so far no luck.
    • The main BMV 712 is also used to start the generator on a low SOC of the batteries. I couldn’t use the CerboGX for this, as the relay on the CerboGX controls the well pump.
  • 11 Silfab 490 solar panels. These things are amazing, Although officially rated at 490W, I have drawn 670 Watts per panel out of an array of six of these panels. Being at 9300 foot altitude, and a nice sunny cold winter day, gets the best out of them. I put them in a string of 5 and a string of 6 panels, and use two out of the four MPPT controllers in the Victron MPPT RS (so far).
  • Midnite solar MNE250STSLT E panel, which is used to house a 250A breaker for the inverter feed, and a 175A breaker for the MPPT controller feed.
  • Flowline Echopod UG-6 acoustic water level sensor to measure the water in the cistern
  • Some odds and ends like the well pump protector, well pump remote controller, generator on/off/auto switch, and temperature monitor and heater inside the batter box.
Pictures below.

Be happy to answer any questions!

Barthold

The full setup in one picture.
20221223_161402.jpg

The five Trophy 304Ah batteries, with an interesting wiring setup as per Trophy's recommendation. I built an insulated box around the batteries, as it does get cold here. The box is two layers of R13 rigid foam, for a total of R26. There's also a lid with the same insulation (not shown).
20221223_161334.jpg

Midnite solar panel with 250A breaker to the inverter on the left, and the 175A solar controller breaker on the right. The top breakers are not used.
20221223_090249.jpg

Four of the 11 panels on one pole. Rest not shown.
20221028_084112.jpg

Looking down into the cistern where you can see the Flowline Echopod measuring water level. The cistern is about 300 foot away from the Victron GX Tank 140. Works like a charm!
20221122_151721.jpg

Screenshot of Victron VRM in action. This was a cloudy day, not a lot of solar produced.
vrm.JPG

I was looking at how you wired the batteries…

It looks like the system comes directly off of #3 then #2 & #4 then #1 & #5.

How are the current flows? Do they charge & discharge at the same rate? Or does #3 work hard, #2 & #4, work a bit, and #1 & #5 are out to lunch…

I like your clean setup - especially everything in conduit.

I was looking at how you wired the batteries…

It looks like the system comes directly off of #3 then #2 & #4 then #1 & #5.

How are the current flows? Do they charge & discharge at the same rate? Or does #3 work hard, #2 & #4, work a bit, and #1 & #5 are out to lunch…

I like your clean setup - especially everything in conduit.

Hi Nobodybusiness! Thanks for the kind words. Below is the image I got from Dan @ Tropphy on how to wire five batteries. I thought it was pretty inventive. So far the SOC of the outer most batteries and the middle battery is no more than 2% or so apart.

1672588077141.png

Which cost more? The batteries or all the Victron stuff? ?

Looks great!

Hah, the batteries are the most expensive part still, unfortunately. With shipping and tax it is basically $5K per battery. But we live there, and we need to have power, so the investment is worth it to me.

Do you find that your batteries share load and charge equally? My experience with my Trophies is that they stay close under low loads, but widely diverge under heavy loads (4/0 everything equal length) ..
I heated my insulated cabinet so the battery heaters would be just a backup. A 100 watt heater on an InkBird thermostatically controlled outlet set to 50F.

@barthold, This is a very well organized, and super clean installation. This year I plan to add another array to my grid connected set up, as well as replacing the 11 year old, 48v 256ah Concorde battery bank. Have not yet decided upon which Lithium batteries to replace them with, but like the Trophy's. Would you mind expanding on why you went with them?

Do you find that your batteries share load and charge equally? My experience with my Trophies is that they stay close under low loads, but widely diverge under heavy loads (4/0 everything equal length) ..
I have 280 ah cells set up for a total of 560 ah at 24 volts, and found lower loads (265 watts) at about 8% and higher loads (1580 watts) around 3% as measured by the BMS with two different devices at the same time.

I consider that a Success.
=============
During a 1580 watt load, the batteries were within 2.8% of each other. Right now, I say that’s a success.

Wanted to know how even the BMS ran during a load so I Monitored how much both BMSs put out running the microwave At 1580 Watts total:

BMS 1: 780 Watts (29.27 Amps / 26.69 Volts)
BMS 2: 801 Watts (30.02 amps / 26.68 Volts)

During a smaller 265 watt load, They were within 7.9% of each other.

BMS 1: 175 Watt (6.51 Amps / 26.88 Volts)
BMS 2: 190 Watt (7.05 Amps / 26.93 Volts)
===============

I heated my insulated cabinet so the battery heaters would be just a backup. A 100 watt heater on an InkBird thermostatically controlled outlet set to 50F.

Good question. So far I have not seen them diverge more than 2-3%, which I consider just fine. I'll keep monitoring though, will report back!

@barthold, This is a very well organized, and super clean installation. This year I plan to add another array to my grid connected set up, as well as replacing the 11 year old, 48v 256ah Concorde battery bank. Have not yet decided upon which Lithium batteries to replace them with, but like the Trophy's. Would you mind expanding on why you went with them?

Hi Philip53,

I picked the Trophy for several reasons. First of all, I liked the high quality of the build and quality cells they use. I've seen Will's video on the earlier Trophy battery teardown. Second, I was looking for a high capacity (>200 Ah) battery, as I didn't want to string, for example 16 100 Ah batteries, together., as I don't have that much space. That limited the choice. So it was really cool to see that Trophy released a 300 Ah battery! Third, I talked to Dan @ Trophy, and that moved me over the line. I called him up and asked him a ton of questions, each of which he patiently and very expertly answered. Then after I received the batteries we talked several more times, and he's super helpful. In other words, great support! Oh, and the 10 year warranty is great too.

Hah, I did something very similar :) Nice! I attached a heating pad to each battery, and tied that to a thermostat, so that I can control the temperature inside my insulated battery box, and keep it at 55F. The control logic for that is in the far-right of my first picture. I know the batteries have an internal heater, but two reasons I don't want to rely on them as the only way to keep them warm. 1) By the time the heater kicks in, the battery will be quite cold inside and that is going to come at the cost of capacity. 2) The battery heaters only works when there is sun, so if the battery ever drops below its cutoff temp of -14C during the night, because the heaters do not kick in, that would be really bad. Because if it is that cold, then I would likely need power the most to keep the cabin heated.

Heating pads in the below picture. I only use the bottom string, the top string is there just in case I really need it (not so far). Which, after I build the box around the batteries would have been a pain to add.
20221219_151057.jpg

Hi Nobodybusiness! Thanks for the kind words. Below is the image I got from Dan @ Tropphy on how to wire five batteries. I thought it was pretty inventive. So far the SOC of the outer most batteries and the middle battery is no more than 2% or so apart.

View attachment 127329
Indeed very inventive.

I might actually try that wiring arrangement on mine to see if it will help.

Thanks for the picture!

Hah, I did something very similar :)
Yeah, I think we've both learned that in cold climates in winter, the lean number of solar hours per day probably would heat a --20F battery enough start charging just about the time the sun was going down..

Which top-of-pole mount did manage to get four of those Silfab 490's up with? Those panels aren't small or light, specs are pretty close to the Q-Cells 480 that I was considering.

Like the EchoPod too, wish they were a little cheaper tho..

Hi All,

Here’s my setup for our off grid cabin that we recently completed. Goal was to have enough battery and solar to basically (almost) never have to run the generator. The cabin consumes more electricity in the winter than the summer, due to having to run the furnace, and of course there’s less solar hours in the winter. On an average winter day, we consume 12 to 17 KWh. With the setup below, I can run 5 to 6 days before the generator will have to kick in, which is plenty of time. It hardly ever is cloudy for that long in a row over here.

The cabin has only one 220V load, and that is the well pump (about 11A @ 220V). In the future there will be an electric vehicle 20A or 30A 230V outlet as well.

I started out with Full River AGM batteries and an Outback inverter/mppt/mate system, but I didn’t like either enough to keep them. The long tail to get the AGM batteries fully charged is a waste of solar hours, and the (pretty extreme) capacity degradation in the cold, plus the fact that to get the optimal amount of cycles you should not discharge to about 60% SOC, made the AGMs less than ideal. The outback system simply isn’t as cool or flexible as a Victron setup, so that had to go as well.

So this is the setup:
  • Five Trophy 304Ah lithium batteries, for a total of 1520 Ah @ 51V, or about 77 KWh. Love those batteries!
  • Victron MultiPlus-II 48/10000/140-100/100 inverter (230V model)
  • Victron 100A Autotransformer to feed a standard electrical panel for my 110V needs
  • Victron Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/200
  • Victron CerboGX with GX Tank 140 (super cool! I can monitor the amount of drinking water in my 3000 gallon cistern that way)
    • Relay 1 of the CerboGX is used to control the well pump, when the water level in the cistern is getting low
  • Two Victron BMV 712 battery monitors. One is hooked up to the CerboGX to provide SOC, and battery temp. The other is just there so I can ALSO see the SOC in the cabin, on the display of the BMV 712.
    • Whenever I get the Trophy batteries to talk to the CerboGX, one of them can go. Working with Dan @ Trophy on making this happen, but so far no luck.
    • The main BMV 712 is also used to start the generator on a low SOC of the batteries. I couldn’t use the CerboGX for this, as the relay on the CerboGX controls the well pump.
  • 11 Silfab 490 solar panels. These things are amazing, Although officially rated at 490W, I have drawn 670 Watts per panel out of an array of six of these panels. Being at 9300 foot altitude, and a nice sunny cold winter day, gets the best out of them. I put them in a string of 5 and a string of 6 panels, and use two out of the four MPPT controllers in the Victron MPPT RS (so far).
  • Midnite solar MNE250STSLT E panel, which is used to house a 250A breaker for the inverter feed, and a 175A breaker for the MPPT controller feed.
  • Flowline Echopod UG-6 acoustic water level sensor to measure the water in the cistern
  • Some odds and ends like the well pump protector, well pump remote controller, generator on/off/auto switch, and temperature monitor and heater inside the batter box.
Pictures below.

Be happy to answer any questions!

Barthold

The full setup in one picture.
View attachment 127281

The five Trophy 304Ah batteries, with an interesting wiring setup as per Trophy's recommendation. I built an insulated box around the batteries, as it does get cold here. The box is two layers of R13 rigid foam, for a total of R26. There's also a lid with the same insulation (not shown).
View attachment 127282

Midnite solar panel with 250A breaker to the inverter on the left, and the 175A solar controller breaker on the right. The top breakers are not used.
View attachment 127283

Four of the 11 panels on one pole. Rest not shown.
View attachment 127284

Looking down into the cistern where you can see the Flowline Echopod measuring water level. The cistern is about 300 foot away from the Victron GX Tank 140. Works like a charm!
View attachment 127285

Screenshot of Victron VRM in action. This was a cloudy day, not a lot of solar produced.
View attachment 127286
Looks great!!!
I am looking at batteries for my Victron set up. Have you made any progress to get the trophy batteries to communicate with cerbo yet? I have a Victoron quatro 10000 120v and an autotransformer.
Do you know if I could run the 120 volt loads off the inverter directly and use Autotransformer to step up 230v loads. Or Would I be better off running everything through the autotransformer?

Last edited:
Which top-of-pole mount did manage to get four of those Silfab 490's up with? Those panels aren't small or light, specs are pretty close to the Q-Cells 480 that I was considering.
Not sure of the brand, this was done by my local solar installer a while ago. I'll ask them. Here's a picture. Hope that helps a bit.

20230103_090925.jpg

Back