diy solar

diy solar

Panel Configuration - please check my work...

Scorch

So I am new to this, and while I think I have the math down, I definitely would like a double check. I have 2 Deye 12k inverters (same as Sol-Ark 12k). I'm hooking up 40 panels.

Panels have the following characteristics.
Pmax = 435W
Vmp = 72.9V
Imp = 5.97 A
Voc = 85.6V
Isc = 6.43A

Each inverter has
MaxV = 500V
MinV = 100V

Each inverter has 2 MPPT's and the operating range for them are 125-425.

So my plan was to run 10 panels to each MPPT, which means 20 panels to each inverter. Those 10 panels would be 2 parallel series of 5, which would make max Voc about 428V, which is below my invert max V which should be OK.

If that seems to make sense, my next question is about the PV disconnects. I was thinking one disconnect for each MPPT, so was going to use four DC circuit breakers like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Circuit-Isolator-Magnetic-Disconnect/dp/B0983ZB3VD?th=1 ). since ISC of the panels is 6.4A, and I'm running 2 parallel strings, Im guessing the max current is less than 13Amp, so the 16 Amp breaker should be sufficient?

Appreciate any comments or advice people can give me on this.

Oh... forgot to mention that my minimum temperature calc is as follows....

coldest temp = -25C, and ref temp is 25C, with a temp coefficient of 0.2355V/C. So at the coldest, the VOC becomes 97.4, and 5 panels in series would be just under 500V, so still under the max inverter

Your math looks correct. 5S2P would be 4350W. I assume this is a 48V setup so that's almost 91A charge current output to the battery per MPPT.

1 - Is each MPPT rated to handle 90A?
2 - Can your battery handle up to 360A charge current (90A x 4)?

As for the breaker, it's really only being used as a disconnect, not to protect the wire. So anything over 16A would work in this case. Do note that the breaker you linked is polarized so it is extremely important that you wire it correctly or bad things could happen.

Your math looks correct. 5S2P would be 4350W. I assume this is a 48V setup so that's almost 91A charge current output to the battery per MPPT.

1 - Is each MPPT rated to handle 90A?
2 - Can your battery handle up to 360A charge current (90A x 4)?

As for the breaker, it's really only being used as a disconnect, not to protect the wire. So anything over 16A would work in this case. Do note that the breaker you linked is polarized so it is extremely important that you wire it correctly or bad things could happen.
Not sure on whether mppt can handle 90a or if the batteries can charge that fast…. But doesn’t the inverter automatically throttle as needed?

I have no experience with the Deye (or Sol-ark) all-in-one so I have no idea what it will do. That's why I asked you those questions. :) Is there anything on that in the spec sheet or manual?

I have no experience with the Deye (or Sol-ark) all-in-one so I have no idea what it will do. That's why I asked you those questions. :) Is there anything on that in the spec sheet or manual?
I’ll have to check… I believe it will because I know the batteries are networked in to the controller, so I’m assuming they are talking to each other, but will definitely double check

Which model DEYE do you have? My guess is the battery charging is in the 200a+ range per unit so you should be fine in that regard. But if you intend to push 360a into your battery(s) I would hope they are in the 1000ah range capacity wise (or bigger). The controller should be able to set the max charging rate at a smaller number anyway.

Which model DEYE do you have? My guess is the battery charging is in the 200a+ range per unit so you should be fine in that regard. But if you intend to push 360a into your battery(s) I would hope they are in the 1000ah range capacity wise (or bigger). The controller should be able to set the max charging rate at a smaller number anyway.
I have the Deye 8k split phase (the one they are no longer selling to US. I have 6x 48v 200ah batteries so I should be good I guess. At some point I’ll probably double battery capacity, but wanted to start smaller first to see how much additional I need.

Back