diy solar

diy solar

Panel purchase conundrum

Kymbo

Hi - Anyone interested in reading about my conundrum and sharing your knowledge and two cents to help me make an informed decision?
I purchased 3x200w panels for a van conversion based on functional specs and size. In short, the company had the size listed incorrectly on their site. I like the specs, but cannot fit 3 panels on the roof rack as intended (I could fit 2).

Specs for the Bluetti AC200max
- power input: 900w max
- Over-voltage protection: 145VDC
- MPPT voltage range: 10-145VDC
- Current: 15A
- Max input current of solar charging: 15.2A ± 0.3A
Specs for the panels I purchased:
- Maximum Power: 200 Watts
- Maximum System Voltage: 600V
- Open Circuit Voltage: 37.5V
- Short Circuit Current: 5.6A
- Maximum Power Voltage: 30.2V
- Maximum Power Current: 6.6a
Specs for the panels I received:
- Maximum Power: 200 Watts
- Maximum System Voltage: 1000v
- Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 43.5V
- Short Circuit Current (Isc): 5.56A
- Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 37.9V
- Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.28a
The panels I purchased were chosen specifically because the Voc (37.5v) is higher than any 200w panels I've seen listed on the traditional van conversion sites (generally around 27v). I was thinking more bang for the buck, so to speak. Plan was to wire them in series increasing the voltage to 112.5v.

Here's where you come in. Based on the specs you see, would you advise that I ...

- ... keep 2 panels to wire in series (VOC = 87v)
- ... return all 3 panels and use another company to purchase the 3x200w panels that I thought I was getting (if they are available from another company).
- ... if the 3 I want aren't available, I could order 2 panels with specs like these (the Isc and Imp are very different from other panels I've seen and I don't know what that means):
- Maximum Power: 250 Watts
- Maximum System Voltage: 1000v
- Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 27.28V
- Short Circuit Current (Isc): 11.09A
- Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 23.83V
- Maximum Power Current (Imp): 10.51a
I don't know enough about solar to understand all of the specs and choose the best option. Hope you can help! Thanks in advance.

the roof rack from another company but the VOC combined would be around the same (82-85v)

I don’t see why you can’t use three of them in series. Watts the issue you see?

I don’t see why you can’t use three of them in series. Watts the issue you see?
Bah dum bum, ching.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am aware that I can wire three in series... using any of the panels I provided specs for. The issue is that the panels I ordered (specifically because of size and specs) are not what I received. Now I have three panels that are too big to fit my roof rack and I'm not sure which way to go moving forward. I ordered 55" panels and received 59" panels... I can only fit 2 of the 3 on my roof rack and that, obviously, reduces the amount of solar input I want for my set-up.

I know the basics... wire in series to increase voltage, wire in parallel to increase current. I went for series connection because I live in the PNW and sun is limited more months than not.

The company I ordered from advertised 55" panels (specs listed below). The panels received are 58.9" and I cannot fit three of them on my roof. The 58.9" have a different set of specs (listed below); the input in greater per individual panel, but I can only fit two of them so the total voltage is less.

The company is saying they will not refund my money unless I can guarantee that when I send back the panels, they will not break in the process. WTF?!? I know, given the circumstances, I have the right to fight the issue with them and I will if necessary but want to ensure to the best of my ability that I know what I'm fighting for.

Looking at other panels I see specs that are considerable different in some instances, but I don't have the knowledge to determine in what way my set up would be impacted. For example, Newpowa sells 250w panels that have a lower Voc (not ideal) than what I ordered, but the Isc and Imp are twice the amount I've seen on any other panel. Perhaps because they are 9 busbar panels.... I have no idea.

Do fight the company, within reasonable peresters, to send back and be refunded for the 3 panels that are too large?! Do I keep 2 and send back or sell 1? Do I go with another company that has panels with lower Voc per panel, but double the amount of Isc and Imp... no clue what level of functionality changes with differing specs. I'm in a pickle and lack the knowledge to make an informed decision. Left to my own devices, any decision regarding the matter would be a shot in the dark, at best.

With the higher voc you are running close to max voltage and depending on temperature you could exceed max voltage in low temperatures I would try to get the 37.5 voc panels

The company I ordered from advertised 55" panels (specs listed below). The panels received are 58.9" and I cannot fit three of them on my roof.

Ah sorry I missed your point! I see now.

If you can find another panel that physically fits with electrical specs pretty close to the other two, that might be easiest.

Or sell them locally, that might be even easier.

As for sending them back and guaranteeing them not to break, just package them as good or better than they did and buy shipping insurance.

Trust me, you’ll want as many panels as you can fit, especially on cloudy days!

If the panels aren't what you ordered and you can't fit them, send them back.
It should be that easy, but unfortunately some businesses engage in deceptive and fraudulent practices... like advertising one size panel and shipping a different size; refusing to accept a return shipment unless I can guarantee the panels will not be broken upon arrival, and stating that I did not contact them within 30 days (which is very much untrue and luckily I was smart enough to screen shot necessary info to prove myself).

Ah sorry I missed your point! I see now.

If you can find another panel that physically fits with electrical specs pretty close to the other two, that might be easiest.

Or sell them locally, that might be even easier.

As for sending them back and guaranteeing them not to break, just package them as good or better than they did and buy shipping insurance.

Trust me, you’ll want as many panels as you can fit, especially on cloudy days!

Thank you for taking another spin at it.
The company offered to compensate with me $100 to which I replied they are still not acting in accordance with their return/refund policy nor is that a solution to the problem. In an attempt to have the company help remedy the situation rather than leave me stranded with 3 panels that are unusable, I asked if they would send out 2x100w panels (cost $165)... this was after they offered the $100 compensation. They replied stating that they do not recommend mixing 200w panels and 100w panels and would not provide explanation when asked. I found some calculators to help me understand what would happen if I mixed panels with different wattage and all the numbers indicated there would be very little loss.
If you are interested in running some numbers and sharing what you think, it'd be very much appreciated:
These are the specs of the panels I would mix 2x200w and 1or2x100w:

Thank you for taking another spin at it.
The company offered to compensate with me $100 to which I replied they are still not acting in accordance with their return/refund policy nor is that a solution to the problem. In an attempt to have the company help remedy the situation rather than leave me stranded with 3 panels that are unusable, I asked if they would send out 2x100w panels (cost $165)... this was after they offered the $100 compensation. They replied stating that they do not recommend mixing 200w panels and 100w panels and would not provide explanation when asked. I found some calculators to help me understand what would happen if I mixed panels with different wattage and all the numbers indicated there would be very little loss.
If you are interested in running some numbers and sharing what you think, it'd be very much appreciated:
These are the specs of the panels I would mix 2x200w and 1or2x100w:

Your attachments didn’t come through. Try again and I’ll take a look.

Ahwhoops.
I appreciate your efforts to help me out.

2x 200w panels

View attachment 165546
1 or 2x 100w panels

View attachment 165545

200W is Voc of 46.1v
100W x 2 (in series) is Voc of 44.2v

That’s pretty close. I would do it. You won’t lose much. However I don’t yet know much about mixing panels like this. I think you could connect the two 100W in series, then connect those in parallel to the 200W one. But I would confirm with someone who knows a bit more about that very thing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back