diy solar

diy solar

Panel recommendations

jbborg

I am trying to find panels to finish my off-grid installation.
Wondering if you have anything that might help me.
My roof is 7’ x 14’ – if I leave 1 foot all-around panels my area is 5x12
My Solar charger: Max PV Input 4000w, Max Current 80A. Max PV Input 145v
I sent a request to Unbound Solar and they wanted my mailing address.
Any help is appreciated.

Do you know what size panels you need? What wattage? What Voltage?

What are your power needs?

Many jurisdictions require 3' at the roof ridge and 3' clear access on at least one side. It would be a good idea to check the requirements before installing an array.

Are you looking for used or new hardware for this project? 5'x12' is just not a lot of space. Doing some quick math based on some used 250W panels I bought recently, if you stretch your space slightly you could fit 4 of them in that space. They are 39.1"x65", so slightly longer than 5ft and 3'3" wide. That would give you a used space of 5'5x13', leaving you a little under a foot open space in one the short dimension and 6" on either side in the long dimension. It's not a lot of power, nowhere near your solar charger's capacity. There may be slightly newer panels available that can output more power in the same-ish footprint, but probably not by much.

For a small project like yours, I first cut cardboard cutouts off of dimensions for three different panels and placed them on the roof to see which worked best. My guess is by buying panels the correct size for your jigsaw puzzle. you will max out with 800 watts to 1200 watts of panels In a 5 X 12 area. Any obstructions will make that much less.

The cheapest place I've found to buy panels (without freight shipping) is usually Ebay (for Rich or Renogy), with the cheapest prices being 100-150 watt panels. If you do freight shipping, then SanTan Solar is great (but freight could be $800, maybe more, maybe less, depending on where you are).

With that much space, you may be best served with smaller panels. But then you may run into extra wiring costs or charge controller costs for higher voltage.

Any help is appreciated.
Any help is appreciated.
Per my local building codes office - the distance from the edge of the roof is per the manufacturer's guidelines
I will need about 2k per day for my off-grid energy needs
The battery I have is EG4-ll 48V - 100AH
Charge Controller MPP 3048LV-MK

Per my local building codes office - the distance from the edge of the roof is per the manufacturer's guidelines
I will need about 2k per day for my off-grid energy needs
The battery I have is EG4-ll 48V - 100AH
Charge Controller MPP 3048LV-MK
Just curious, what are you using as a planning for cloudy days?

My energy requirements very widely and I decided on 6 kWh of useable battery power without going below 50% battery. This gets me anywhere from a couple weeks to not even half a day. Always have a generator to turn on.

I’m at the low energy use time of year. I needed 600 wH last nigh. Very cloudy day with rain and my 1650 watts of panels on the roof will just barely make that.

Tonight I will use heat since it’ll be 39 degrees, and I will probably use 2kWh to run the propane heater blower motor. I can use 18 kWh a day when I turn the AC on.

Since you're doing this off-grid, you probably don't need to follow building codes to the letter, as long as you make it safe enough that you are comfortable with it.

Not knowing your latitude, it's hard to recommend anything specific, as being more southerly will allow for smaller/fewer panels to hit your target year-round, compared to a northern location. For 2kWh per day, at the extreme north of the US (North Dakota along the 49th parallel), to hit 2kWh per day in January, you'd need about 1200W of panels according to NREL's pvwatts site. Conversely, during the summer months at the same latitude, that same system will be giving you at least 6kWh of power per day. I don't think you'll have much success fitting 1200W of panels into the dimensions you provided in your initial post though, so for your sake I hope you aren't in North Dakota ?.

If you're at the southern tip of Texas, you could probably get away with only 750W of panels to provide that same amount of power in January, and it'd be a lot more consistent throughout the year because of the solar angle changing less. Also, I think the NREL website takes weather into account, so you'd benefit from putting in your exact location.

Go to https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ and plug in your address. Just start tinkering with the DC system size to get a rough idea of how much power you'll need from each panel. On the results page, it will tell you how many kWh it's expected to generate for each month. Divide that number by the number of days in that month, and you'll get the expected average kWh it will generate in a given day. Get that as close to 2kWh as possible, and you'll have a rough idea of how much panel you need to throw at your project. Then start searching websites that sell single panels wholesale, like Santan Solar or even Craigslist to find something that you can physically fit in your space. All of the major sites that sell will provide dimensions of the panels.

Back