diy solar

diy solar

Panel tape

fatjay

Solar Enthusiast
I'm making a panel roof over my patio, and I want to have it be water proof. I was looking for something to cover the seams between panels. I'm screwing them from the bottom. I like the look of the underside of the panels.

I was thinking something like that, but what about T junctions. It's 4 panels wide by 6 panels long, so there's a lot of T's to cross where 4 panels come together.

You might try aluminum tape. I would also think a barrier material such as roofing Try-ply or Tyvex wrap would help.

You might try aluminum tape. I would also think a barrier material such as roofing Try-ply or Tyvex wrap would help.
I was thinking aluminum tape, but I felt like after a couple years of rain/sun/snow/repeat it might not do so well.

I was also thinking maybe some sort of all weather caulk. I was thinking about material expansion and contraction as well, how much will that come into play?

On the horizontal seams use the rubber sealing strip. For the vertical, cut some PVC pipe in half lengthwise and make a rain gutter underneath the seam.

.....Crazy idea.

I was thinking aluminum tape, but I felt like after a couple years of rain/sun/snow/repeat it might not do so well.

I was also thinking maybe some sort of all weather caulk. I was thinking about material expansion and contraction as well, how much will that come into play?
It is hard to have anything last for several years exposed to the elements.

I like this Butyl rubber tape. Never hardens. Stays flexible.

I like this Butyl rubber tape. Never hardens. Stays flexible.

That looks good, i like it.

The other question is the glass connected to the aluminum panel. From what I'm seeing, it looks like it.

DURABleTempered glass, EVA lamination andweatherproof backskin provide long-life andenhanced cell performance.

That looks good, i like it.

The other question is the glass connected to the aluminum panel. From what I'm seeing, it looks like it.
Typically, there is a thin gasket wrapped around the edge of the glass before the extruded aluminum frame is applied. It is somewhat adhesive. It is intended to keep water from getting under the frame, and probably , bonding the aluminum to the glass.

If you have access from the bottom to do everything, probably not that often.

I was worried about it enough on roof to put all my microinverters in a readily accessible location.

What you're asking for is a pretty common dream, have you aggregated ideas and feedback from previous commentary on the web?

If you have access from the bottom to do everything, probably not that often.

I was worried about it enough on roof to put all my microinverters in a readily accessible location.

What you're asking for is a pretty common dream, have you aggregated ideas and feedback from previous commentary on the web?
Nope. I'm just going on a whim. I'm picking up steel hopefully tomorrow to build the frame, then just putting the panels on it. I'm overlapping the roof edge by about a foot. I'll post pictures of the project. My main concern is shade, but it would kind of be annoying to have it drip in the rain.

diy solar

diy solar
Back