diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Config - SolArk 15K adding more panels

jarred125

Good day everyone!

We installed our SolArk 15K with 20 Canadian Solar 445W bifacial panels in a 7,7,6 configuration. I am highly addicted to solar and bringing our energy bill to zero if possible. Our panels are working great and we want to add another 14 panels, 535W Jinko Tiger panels from Solar Steals.

My plan is to parallel the two banks of 7 Canadian solar panels, leave the 6 alone and add two banks of 7 Jinko panels in parallel.

Edit: Basically, doing a series of 7 panels into a parallel with the other 7.

My question is this: With the 15K having 3 MPPTs does it make sense to do a combiner box or just do in-line fuses with a MC4 branch/parallel connector?

Thanks as always!

Good day everyone!

We installed our SolArk 15K with 20 Canadian Solar 445W bifacial panels in a 7,7,6 configuration. I am highly addicted to solar and bringing our energy bill to zero if possible. Our panels are working great and we want to add another 14 panels, 535W Jinko Tiger panels from Solar Steals.

My plan is to parallel the two banks of 7 Canadian solar panels, leave the 6 alone and add two banks of 7 Jinko panels in parallel.

Edit: Basically, doing a series of 7 panels into a parallel with the other 7.

My question is this: With the 15K having 3 MPPTs does it make sense to do a combiner box or just do in-line fuses with a MC4 branch/parallel connector?

Thanks as always!
Best way to know is go to the Sol-ark panel sizing tool and see..

Best way to know is go to the Sol-ark panel sizing tool and see..

Sorry, my question was worded weird. I used the calculator, it works, it was more on the question of needing a box which after posting I realized I don't.

I am going to simply use the MC4 branch/parallel connectors to do it rather than a combiner box. I see thats really for those without several MPPTs to utilize.

15k has dual inputs for each MPPT so just connect them.
Conduit is already run, would have to stuff in more conductors and that would be a bit of a pain. I am under the max amps even going parallel, so I figured I would just do that instead of running more.

Ugh. I went the other route. I know I'm going to keep playing with it so I put in 4x 3/4" conduit instead of the 2 that I actually needed.

Back