diy solar

diy solar

Parralel or series configuration

Powderskier

I have a sol ark 15k inverter. I'm moving 10 panels and am wondering is there an advantage or disadvantage to changing my configuration.
I've got 2 sets of 5 panels of 440 watts going to the 2 mppt inputs. So 2 runs of 8 awg. If I do one string of 10 panels to 1 input of the mppt or 5s2p to 1 input of the mppt. This way I'm already pre wired when I add more panels for AC coupling. With no shade issues ever what is better going sieres or sieres parallel.
I live where the temperature has never gone below 18 degrees in the day. Thanks in advance.

Need more information. What are the specs of your panels in Volts and Amps? Using those specs what are the max Amperage and max Voltage of those two configurations? If neither of them exceed the input range of the MPPT controller on the SolArk it does not matter which configuration.

Need more information. What are the specs of your panels in Volts and Amps? Using those specs what are the max Amperage and max Voltage of those two configurations? If neither of them exceed the input range of the MPPT controller on the SolArk it does not matter which configuration.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm all good on the voltage and amperage side of things. Was just trying to find if there was a somehow 'better' advantage one way or the other. I think I'll go 5s2p because I am close on max Voltage with 10s. Although I've never seen anywhere near the potential max come from my panels. Again thanks

Was just trying to find if there was a somehow 'better' advantage one way or the other.
The advantage of higher voltage (10 in series) is if you have a longer distance to run then you would not need to size the wire larger to avoid voltage loss. With solar voltages of 200 or 400 volts voltage liss is not a big consideration.

Last edited:
Another consideration is that the closer your string is to the nominal MPPT voltage (which is likely related to the voltage of the internal high voltage bus), the more likely it is for you to hit the Solar -> AC efficiency rating on the spec sheet. And since the internal high voltage bus is intermediate stage before stepping down to battery voltage, the inefficiency likely stacks to charging too. IOW there probably isn't such a thing as picking your string voltage to optimize for 48V charging vs direct solar -> AC inverting.

So maybe a ~2.5% difference?

400V is probably closer to the nominal voltage than 200V is.

Whether you should care about this? dunno.

Back