diy solar

diy solar

Partial shading on panels put in series doesn't seem to be any issue at all

Scph9002

Solar Enthusiast
I dont know if i maybe have some super good low light performing panels but partial shading does not bring down the entire array in a way that seem to be the general consensus . In worst case scenario covering one panel with a blanket and it would at least be able to pass on the current from the other panels and their operating voltage? Basically just missing out on one panel that is acting as a conductor?

I dont know if i maybe have some super good low light performing panels but partial shading does not bring down the entire array in a way that seem to be the general consensus . In worst case scenario covering one panel with a blanket and it would at least be able to pass on the current from the other panels and their operating voltage? Basically just missing out on one panel that is acting as a conductor?
My QCells G10 bifacials 475W will show 25-50% loss in production once shade moves over one panel at end of string of 8. I just keep cutting limbs or trees until I like the numbers I see for the time of day.

What type of panels do you have and how do you have them set up in series parallel and are you using optimizers or mini-inverters?

Shade does not impact over all production the way enphase and solar edge claim. Diodes placed within panels seem to have improved overall production, but the inverter/panel manufacturers aren't phased in their marketing of their products. Like solar clipping they seem okay misleading people to buy more panels and inverters. I see on this site regularly where 400 watt panels are matched with 290 watt micros. Then I see people defending this based on the talking points the inverter/panel manufacturers spew. Love solar. Hate the marketing of solar. BUYERS BEWARE.

Last edited:
Real world.................My poorer quality Canadian solar 315's/Newpowa 240/200's perform better, through out day, everyday, than my higher performing qcells. Installed within 3 months of each other, same angles. Why? The cheaper/poorer panels go straight to solar generator/inverters. The qcells 400's are matched with 290 watt enphase inverters. I never should have let elevation solar install those micros. My fault. I caught it before install, but they argued me out of changing to higher output inverters. Again my fault. Don't let it happen to you.

The new Perc 1/2 cut cell panels are designed to mitigate some shading issues. They are essentially two panels in parallel. They are meant to be mounted in portrait fashion where any shadowing on the lower half of the panel will not affect the current of the upper half. Not sure if the shaded portion simply is cut out of the loop. Need to read up some more on that.

Last edited:
Modern panels matched with a good quality string MPPT will manage shade pretty well.

Just as long as the hard shading is not a long term/duration thing as eventually that can still lead to panel/cell damage.

Here's a controlled test comparing a high quality string inverter with Enphase microinverter set up:

Modern panels matched with a good quality string MPPT will manage shade pretty well.

Just as long as the hard shading is not a long term/duration thing as eventually that can still lead to panel/cell damage.

Here's a controlled test comparing a high quality string inverter with Enphase microinverter set up:

lol love it great video.

Heres a "tldr" kinda screenshot: 1693736376301.png

Back