diy solar

diy solar

Portable LV2424-MSD w/ 4 40ah RT Series U1-12RT Environmental ED

Mark GOTG

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something that's already been posted. I'm the director of the Georgia Climate Change Coalition and I need some help. I'm trying to build this for an environmental education project. I've been inspired by Will and some others to put together a portable solar charger that we can take to schools and teach students and the public at large about solar energy. When the funding allows this will turn into a trailer setup as mini studio apt. We want to charge up our 2013 Nissan Leaf on campus with the sun. This is stage one. The overall objective is to show people that this is possible and within their budget or we're all going to melt like ice cream cones in the very near future. Or like Greenland.
So here are the picks. I'm looking for the best 24v configuration for the 4 batteries. I'm thinking an Anderson plug to disconnect the battery box from the cart to be able to load it into the Leaf. Which cables on the rt12s do I sync? I spent hours trying to figure out the right battery cable size and fuse. I guess that's what this forum is for. We'll be purchasing 250w used panels from San Tan and setting them up on site until we get funding for the trailer. Ok I'm ready :)
IMG-4657.jpgIMG-4658.jpgSolar Generator.jpgp.s the inverter now has lower mounting brackets.

Last edited:
Ok, I've got the cables ordered and I'm pretty sure I've got the best configuration for the 2s 2p. I flipped one side of batteries around to make fitting the cables easier, I can see how having the tools and supplies on hand to make your own cables helps. But, I'm only building one... At this point in time. :) I've added a piece of 12" x 18" aluminum flashing behind the inverter. Not fire proof, but it is better than painted plywood. I'll post some pics of the finished project when it's completed.

Cheers!

Back