diy solar

diy solar

PowMr 5kW AIO inverter burned out

OP bought and installed a new PowMr WM5k-III inverter about a month ago.
While I don't have answers for that inverter's burn out, I do occasionally frequent the Australian EVA forum which has multiple threads dedicated to the PIP range of inverters and a group of people who are experts on these machines, how they work, detailed circuit diagrams, performing repairs and modifications, even generating their own firmware for models which can use it to improve the functionality, especially customising the displays.

If they can't help you, I'm not sure who can.

You might have more luck getting some technical advice there:

While I don't have answers for that inverter's burn out, I do occasionally frequent the Australian EVA forum which has multiple threads dedicated to the PIP range of inverters and a group of people who are experts on these machines, how they work, detailed circuit diagrams, performing repairs and modifications, even generating their own firmware for models which can use it to improve the functionality, especially customising the displays.

If they can't help you, I'm not sure who can.

You might have more luck getting some technical advice there:

Thanks. I already reached out to Coulomb :)
But they mainly use original MPP Solar / Voltronic inverters.

PowMr, EASun, Must and the other clones are not the same :)

The blue-white 5,5kW inverters
Not sure how the OP's failed inverter changed from the PowMr WM5k to the EASun Blue & White 5.5k.

I have the Blue & White VM Plus 5.5 with wifi, marketed as PowMr (but also sold as Y&H, EASun)
Very happy with it, a bargain at $420 inc delivery from China.
Using 9 x340W (45V max) solar panels in series.
Only had it a couple of months, but working well, ZERO complaints.

Last edited:
Thanks. I already reached out to Coulomb :)
But they mainly use original MPP Solar / Voltronic inverters.

PowMr, EASun, Must and the other clones are not the same :)
Cool. I reckon if you can't get guidance from Coulomb et al then you'll struggle.

They are not exactly the same inverters, but there are a lot of similarities and it can be the case the failure is not specific to your model but a more generic issue.

Not sure how the OP's failed inverter changed from the PowMr WM5k to the EASun Blue & White 5.5k.

Just a side note about lately ordered and bad clone inverters.

I have the Blue & White VM Plus 5.5 with wifi, marketed as PowMr (but also sold as Y&H, EASun)

The local forum ordered all together 6.
- 1 inverter burned out on first startup. Still waiting what seller will do.
- 1 inverter the display was not working. Seller refused to do anything. Buyer had to open (cut the warranty label) and saw that display cable was not connected. After connecting it inverter is working fine.
- 4 inverter come in perfect condition and working.

Is yours PowMr? America or EU version?

Good luck on getting answers from powmr. They do not understand English at all. I have returned 2 inverters that did not measure up to what they advertised. Luckily I bought them on Amazon and sent them back within the 30 day window.
Good luck. I gave reviews on the Amazon website.

Hi ,

OP bought and installed a new PowMr WM5k-III inverter about a month ago.

View attachment 89999

Used it with 9 solar panels:
- 6pcs of 410W, 49.5Voc, 40.9Vmpp
- 3pcs of 390W, 45.06Voc, 38.01Vmpp. One of them was connected to a TIGO optimizer (because of shadows)
All together 432Voc, (would be 475Voc in -10 Celsius), 359Vmpp (near the inverters ideal 320Vmpp)
So ideal for the MPPT specification.
DC fuse and DC overvoltage protection was on the PV string (there was no storm, no lightning).

And then in a sunny day ... the magic smoke escaped from the unit.
Cause unknown.
The MPPT part is heavily damaged. The DC bus is fried. And it even burned out the AC side.

We still do not know what caused this brutal malfunction.
Any ideas are welcome :)

Some pics from the motherboard of the inverter

View attachment 90003

View attachment 90005

View attachment 90007

View attachment 90008

View attachment 90009

View attachment 90010
It says it takes118 A at 48v input. The wire size for 118 A would have to be 3/0 copper. Check if the lugs are big enough for that. Some I have seen would only take #8. If not big enough for 3/0, the designers don't know their ä$$ from a hole in the ground. I have some of this co.s products and they do some wicked things that could never pass UL or NEC and they don't meet FCC. Take the specs with a big pinch of salt.

Good luck on getting answers from powmr. They do not understand English at all. I have returned 2 inverters that did not measure up to what they advertised. Luckily I bought them on Amazon and sent them back within the 30 day window.
Good luck. I gave reviews on the Amazon website.

What models?

diy solar

diy solar
Back