diy solar

diy solar

Problems with EG4 6000XP Bypass Mode

Neem3r

Hello everyone!

I have scoured the manual, this forum, as well as asked Signature Solar Tech support and I am still at a loss.

Background on my system:
- Two 6000XP in parallel supplying split phase.
- 4 48V EG4 Lifep04 batteries in parallel (20KWH) with bus bars.
- Battery share active and both inverters have 2/0 battery cables to the bus bars.
- Grid connection is 50A RV pedestal

Loads:
- 5th Wheel RV with 50A nema 15-50 hookup
(Full size fridge, microwave, electric fireplace, water heater etc...)
- Tesla model 3 with 240V charger

So here is my issue... The 6000xp is able to use 50A in bypass mode. I have two 6000xps in parallel, which would allow them to pull up to 100A combined. Unfortunately, I only have a 50A grid connection, which trips every time the bypass load is too high. Is there a way to limit the bypass current in each inverter? I would like to limit the bypass current for each to 25A so my 50A breaker stops tripping when loads are too high.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240213_184501.jpg
    20240213_184501.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 14
What do you envision the outcome will be if you were to limit the bypass current? You still have too much load on the system. Where does it give?

The inverters can't deliver > 50A, so they would just shut down. That seems worse than tripping the breaker.

The only way to limit bypass is to use less. The issue here is that your loads are exceeding the source, and you need to manage your loads accordingly.

It's very simple. You have a 50A source. You can't use more than 50A.

Curiously, what is your primary use for grid bypass — is it to provide grid backup when your loads are > 50A (2 x 25A) or to provide grid power when your batteries are exhausted? (sounds like the latter).

To take full advantage of grid bypass from dual 6000xp’s, each should have a dedicated 50A breaker*, which is what they are designed for. What is the reasoning for limiting that?

*if a combiner panel is in the mix, you’ll also need 100A breakers between the combiner and upstream panel.

What do you envision the outcome will be if you were to limit the bypass current? You still have too much load on the system. Where does it give?

The inverters can't deliver > 50A, so they would just shut down. That seems worse than tripping the breaker.

The only way to limit bypass is to use less. The issue here is that your loads are exceeding the source, and you need to manage your loads accordingly.

It's very simple. You have a 50A source. You can't use more than 50A.
I understand where you're coming from. Basically I am limited to a 50A pedestal because I live in a RV park full time. My hope is to run the RV (utilizing up to 50A like normal) while also charging my car at full power (32A) with a possible combined load of 82A. With each inverter limited to 25A each from grid, I am trying to use 50A from bypass and have the inverters supply the 32A from the battery. Thanks for the reply!

I understand where you're coming from. Basically I am limited to a 50A pedestal because I live in a RV park full time. My hope is to run the RV (utilizing up to 50A like normal) while also charging my car at full power (32A) with a possible combined load of 82A. With each inverter limited to 25A each from grid, I am trying to use 50A from bypass and have the inverters supply the 32A from the battery. Thanks for the reply!

They won't. They're not designed for that. To my knowledge, only Victron's PowerAssist can do that. You set your AC input current limit to X, and then the inverter will "boost" the incoming power if the draw exceeds that value. They're effectively acting like a grid tie inverter at that point. Your inverter can't do that.

You're limited to 50A consumption. Period. You need to manage your loads to stay under 50A.

With each inverter limited to 25A each from grid, I am trying to use 50A from bypass and have the inverters supply the 32A from the battery.
Unfortunately that’s not possible with the 6000XP. The inverter disables PV/batt when in grid bypass. I’m hoping that this is somehow added via firmware update, but doubt that’ll happen.

Hello everyone!

I have scoured the manual, this forum, as well as asked Signature Solar Tech support and I am still at a loss.

Background on my system:
- Battery share active and both inverters have 2/0 battery cables to the bus bars.

Loads:

So here is my issue... The 6000xp is able to use 50A in bypass mode. I have two 6000xps in parallel, which would allow them to pull up to 100A combined. Unfortunately, I only have a 50A grid connection, which trips every time the bypass load is too high. Is there a way to limit the bypass current in each inverter? I would like to limit the bypass current for each to 25A so my 50A breaker stops tripping when loads are too high.

Thanks in advance!
I think that you will have to put your Ac in as generator than set the amps to 25 amps. you can talk with curent conected thy may be able to help you because thy sell your inverter also. good lock.

Curiously, what is your primary use for grid bypass — is it to provide grid backup when your loads are > 50A (2 x 25A) or to provide grid power when your batteries are exhausted? (sounds like the latter).

To take full advantage of grid bypass from dual 6000xp’s, each should have a dedicated 50A breaker*, which is what they are designed for. What is the reasoning for limiting that?

*if a combiner panel is in the mix, you’ll also need 100A breakers between the combiner and upstream panel.
Thanks for the reply! I explained my intentions more clearly (hopefully) to sunshine_eggo.
They won't. They're not designed for that. To my knowledge, only Victron's PowerAssist can do that. You set your AC input current limit to X, and then the inverter will "boost" the incoming power if the draw exceeds that value. They're effectively acting like a grid tie inverter at that point. Your inverter can't do that.

You're limited to 50A consumption. Period. You need to manage your loads to stay under 50A.
Thanks for the clarification!

I think that you will have to put your Ac in as generator than set the amps to 25 amps. you can talk with curent conected thy may be able to help you because thy sell your inverter also. good lock.
Thanks! That sounds like a possible idea

Hello everyone!

Background on my system:

Loads:

Thanks in advance!
You would need a grid interactive inverter for that.

You could add a subpanel between the 50 Pedistal and the RV. That panel would split the 50 amp between the RV and the EV charging port.

I'm not sure if you've checked out the generator update in the latest firmware. It can combine generator and batter, but you should never run more then 30 amps through the generator port. (The grid breaker has two 8awg while the gen and load are single 8awg) additionally you shouldn't pull a continuous 50 amp load through the inverter grid bypass. 50 amp assumes (well I assume) that 30 amps for load and 20 amps for dc battery charging.

Check my numbers, I'm going off memory on the internal wire size.

Hello everyone!

Background on my system:

Loads:

Thanks in advance!
What are you doing that trips the breaker? maby charge your car at a slower rate so that is ready in the morning.

What are you doing that trips the breaker? maby charge your car at a slower rate so that is ready in the morning.
It usually happens when charging the car between 20-32A while using the 1500W indoor fireplace. I tripped the breaker twice doing this until I reduced down to 10-15A and then the issue resolved.
My hope initially were to use bypass to power the rv and use battery power to dump power into my car in case I wanted to charge significantly faster. Judging by the comments so far, that seems to be off the table.

As off-grid inverters, they are unfortunately not equipped for this purpose. The concern arises from your loads surpassing the available source, indicating a need for load management adjustments.

Hello everyone!

Background on my system:

Loads:

Thanks in advance!
**UPDATE**

I spoke to Current Connected tech support and they advised me to change the power from grid to generator input, and limit the amperage in the web monitor app. I tried this and it seems to be working. My inverters are capped at 10.5KW.

Attachments

• 1000016877.jpg
    1000016877.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 32
**UPDATE**

I spoke to Current Connected tech support and they advised me to change the power from grid to generator input, and limit the amperage in the web monitor app. I tried this and it seems to be working. My inverters are capped at 10.5KW.
Thank you in showing me that I was right. in the first place. glad you did talk with current connected for the way to do it.

Thank you in showing me that I was right. in the first place. glad you did talk with current connected for the way to do it.
Was following this topic, however I wasn't able to understand your final solution after speaking with Current Connected. How much output current are you able to achieve beyond the 50 amp bypass?

Back