diy solar

diy solar

Question: Do we need a load center if we just use to charge EV with one 6000xp inverter?

Benchen123

I’m putting up one EG4 6000xp with 2 EG4 batteries and about 5kw of solar panels. Using it to charge a Ev only with nema 14-50 outlet.

My question is do I need a load center? or I can do 6000xp directly to nema 14-50 outlet since there a load breaker in the 6000xp.

I’m putting up one EG4 6000xp with 2 EG4 batteries and about 5kw of solar panels. Using it to charge a Ev only with nema 14-50 outlet.

My question is do I need a load center? or I can do 6000xp directly to nema 14-50 outlet since there a load breaker in the 6000xp.
I mentioned in another thread, this would likely be about what you would need for a minimal charging setup, you ought to be able to charge at 240/16A if it's sunny. Should be a fun project. Dunno where you live, but I'd be curious how this works out. You might look into an openEVSE charger, it has an API to allow dynamic rate changes based on output, you might need to futz around with software. I'd probably wire it to an RV hookup box anyway, I use an outdoor 70A GE box with two breakers, for a 6-15 and a standard 5-20 duplex outlet, why not give yourself a little flexibility? It was < $100. Depends on how close everything is, but you never know when a regular plug might be handy, say for a shop vac to vacuum the car or a buffer or a shop light, or ...

So what if you had a short in your receptacle wiring?

Without a load center you would be reliant on the inverter or battery shutting down for overcurrent protection. What if they failed in an unexpected way?

With a load center you would have a breaker that could magnetically trip to quickly cut off a short circuit. But could the inverter even drive enough current to mag trip a 50 amp breaker? Questionable. What if the inverter spectacularly failed somehow? What if it was a slow short drawing full inverter output with no mag trip? Probably couldn't thermal trip it and things are still going badly then.

I would lean towards using one. What's the budget on a homeline 6 space and a 50 amp breaker? Like $50 at home depot.

Edit: Oh I see your inverter has its own load breaker. I wouldn't trust those still.

The Problem with EV charging is you'll pull more amps than the inverter will provide and it will trip. You probably ain't going to trip any 50A breakers no matter what you do with a 6KW inverter... Something simple like the box below. (Yea, I threw the mess together with a pallet, and some scrap wood, it still needs paint). I'm hooked to my secondary panel, with 24KW of inverter behind it, and I put this pedestal on a transfer switch, so it will feed it from the grid if the solar gives out. I overkilled and ran #4 wire out to the pedestal, but de-rated the breaker to 50A back at the solar/grid panel. The transfer switch means I don't have to play musical plugs/multiple EVSE if my solar goes to poopey. As a geek, I wrote software that monitors my battery SOC and I tell the EVSE to ramp up/down output based on it, but my solar is not dedicated. For a pure solar charge scenario, you only need enough battery to smooth your input to prevent a shutdown from overcast sky. I think basing your output on SOC still makes the best sense, just jack down output when your SOC drops, turn it all off when the batteries hit 10% or something. The API for evse has several options.

If time is not an issue and you have an adjustable charger, you could just set the inverter to turn on at say 50%, off at 10% and find a sweet spot 10-20A so it kicks on when the sun comes up, then maintains parity with your average solar output, kicking off after depleting the battery.

Have FUN!

1701790807977.png1701790896414.png

Why are y'all trying to make this so complicated?
To your point, you absolutely don't NEED any kind of a panel, but I think it kind of depends on how you are wiring things up. For example if you set up with something a little larger than the pedestal above you could just mount the inverter, the two batteries, throw up a wallbox with a 6-15, and run some conduit or something out to the panels, mount an EVSE, plug it in. In my experience, every time I do something that short-sighted I generally wish I'd gone ahead and been a little more pro-active. I mean you *know* this will never run anything but a single EVSE? That white wire sticking out of the box in my picture above is a piece of cat-6 waiting for a biscuit jack :giggle:. My sister and her husband come to visit from time-to-time in their camper, they can plug in there. I have a much larger system, but it would be annoying to have to walk all the way over to my main breaker panel, it if I wanted to cut the power right there for a minute.

I think a lot of it depends on where/how you are putting up all the gear. If you are extending the drop for the EVSE to a wall outlet in the garage, just wire it up. Frankly, I think you would want some sort of a bypass to the grid if you actually intend to use this as a primary charging station. You could wire up a 2nd 6-15 for the grid and swap the plug I guess, or wire a bypass switch at the outlet. I guess what we are saying is you might want to think about it a little bit, and save some trouble later if you are pouring concrete or something. :unsure:

I don't think people really understand how much power charging an EV takes. This time of year, I can run my house all day with less electricity than it takes to charge one of my 64KW cars from 50-100%, and I don't have an efficient house. I love my EV's but they are power pigs, which is why the 'gubmint shouldn't be shoving them down everyone's throat, they should allow it to organically move forward. There a a crap-ton of potential energy in a gallon of gas. Realistically this project is going to want another 3K of panels, and 5K of battery, so you can get the charge rate up closer to 24A. I've had EV's for several years, and it doesn't matter how long it takes to charge, ... to a point. I ran a single 24A charger (30A circuit) via a HWH timer programmed for TOU to the grid for years for 2 cars. Depending on how much you drive, this much power will get you 150 odd miles on an 8 hour overnight charge @ 5700 W. We generally just charged our cars on the weekend or at night during the week if there was some extra driving around. Solar made it a totally different game, as it likes to make power when I'm not home.

The Problem with EV charging is you'll pull more amps than the inverter will provide and it will trip. You probably ain't going to trip any 50A breakers no matter what you do with a 6KW inverter... Something simple like the box below. (Yea, I threw the mess together with a pallet, and some scrap wood, it still needs paint). I'm hooked to my secondary panel, with 24KW of inverter behind it, and I put this pedestal on a transfer switch, so it will feed it from the grid if the solar gives out. I overkilled and ran #4 wire out to the pedestal, but de-rated the breaker to 50A back at the solar/grid panel. The transfer switch means I don't have to play musical plugs/multiple EVSE if my solar goes to poopey. As a geek, I wrote software that monitors my battery SOC and I tell the EVSE to ramp up/down output based on it, but my solar is not dedicated. For a pure solar charge scenario, you only need enough battery to smooth your input to prevent a shutdown from overcast sky. I think basing your output on SOC still makes the best sense, just jack down output when your SOC drops, turn it all off when the batteries hit 10% or something. The API for evse has several options.

If time is not an issue and you have an adjustable charger, you could just set the inverter to turn on at say 50%, off at 10% and find a sweet spot 10-20A so it kicks on when the sun comes up, then maintains parity with your average solar output, kicking off after depleting the battery.

Have FUN!

Thanks. I think i will but one in my garage just so I can turn on and off if I need to. The inverter is in the basement. And I used the Tesla mobile charger to charge model y. I can adjust the charge amp in the Tesla app. Do I still need a EVSE?

Thanks. I think i will but one in my garage just so I can turn on and off if I need to. The inverter is in the basement. And I used the Tesla mobile charger to charge model y. I can adjust the charge amp in the Tesla app. Do I still need a EVSE?
As long as it doesn't ramp up over what you can put out it's not a problem. I don't have a Tesla, nor do I know anything about their "mobile chargers (EVSE's)", but if you want a 14-50 I'm assuming it's 240v, and I thought the Tesla stuff was all 40A (9600W) on a 50A circuit. I know I can force down my charge rate from my car, so whatever is the easiest. If you can, it's probably a good idea to program your EVSE not to allow more than the circuit will provide.

I don't know how much you grok this cruft, forgive me if you have a handle on it. For AC inputs, the actual 'Charger' is in the vehicle. EVSE=Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. Your 'Tesla mobile charger' is an EVSE, a pretty dumb box with a relay and a chip, with a Tesla logo on it. The chip uses the 'pilot' wire to tell the car how much power is available from the connection, in other words the box with the NACS plug for the car and the 14-50 for the wall tells the charger in the car how many amps it can draw. I'm guessing your phone application is simply telling your car to only take X, ignoring the EVSE box, but your car will never take more than the box says. Some EVSE boxes have a switch, internal straps (jumpers) or a menu configuration to set maximums. This is what I am talking about. Will keep you from accidentally overloading and tripping breakers and whatnot. Worst case is you shut down the inverter or blow a breaker, generally best not to make that a habit though.

I think your on the right track, just keep in mind you are not going to be able to pull more than around 240v/20A continuous, maybe less. Here in phoenix you might could get 24. The advantage of the 'openevse' charger and ones like it is they are programmable, and can dynamically change the charge rate based on availability of power and/or other factors in conjuction with monitoring software. I'm sure you can find a sweet spot manually that works, that will float the battery charge up in the sunshine, and taper down in the afternoon to maximize solar production and use.

Part of the reason I find this thread fun, is this is almost exactly what I had planned on doing, except I have TWO EV's. I put the pedestal and conduit in, and the plan was to put enough solar on my roof to handle charging the cars. Unfortunately, both cars are not generally home during the peak sun, I work 2 days a week from home, so that left 4 days to get them charged. So I needed more inverter, then I needed more battery, then, I started thinking about the excess capacity, so I put current monitors on everything, and by the time I was done, I figured out I "only" needed roughly twice what I needed for the cars to do the whole shebang, and the real expense was actually running my HVAC on peak anyway. With only one car you have more headroom.

This particular idea is a big win if you need to charge at home in the daytime during a TOU window.

?Fun is one of the main reasons I want to do this. But I can’t convince the wife to spend more than I have already did.
We don’t go to work till 10:30am 5 day of week and 2 day off. so I was hoping that can help a little. I will start with 5 kw solar and 2 eg4. I will try to see if I can convince her after I got it working. lol

?Fun is one of the main reasons I want to do this. But I can’t convince the wife to spend more than I have already did.
We don’t go to work till 10:30am 5 day of week and 2 day off. so I was hoping that can help a little. I will start with 5 kw solar and 2 eg4. I will try to see if I can convince her after I got it working. lol
Solar->ev is modestly more efficient than solar->battery->ev, and battery is expensive. You have to have some battery buffer and the less battery you have the more you have to overbuild your PV arrays, which leads to PV waste. The more battery you have the more you can store excess PV from a smaller array, but it's more expensive and less efficient. Batteries are simpler to install than PV. Now that battery prices seem to be falling, this could bode well. Around here in the summer your 5K of PV could get you 25-30KWH/day. If you had a 30KWH pack you could see-saw 25 or so over to your car every day when you are unable to plug, that's ~125 miles. With the 10KWH your planning, you have a nice fat buffer to play with, you can flip on the charger and tap it for 40 miles of power any time you are not able to plug in on a sunny day.

Back