diy solar

diy solar

PV Fuse or Breaker

I believe you are correct, with the only exception being a dedicated building just for the Solar PV equipment.
I agree with you and I also support the safety aspects of the Regs, at a reasonable price.

I have 6-7 series 50V Jinko Tiger Pro (6 in one string on one inverter and 7 on the other three). I used a 20A/400Vdc breaker, a 600V Midnight solar arrestor, a pair of 600V/20A fuses (pos and neg.) and another molded case surge arrestor between the roof panels and the inverter/charge controller. The Belize electrician wired it all on DIN rail in the cable trays.
Interesting Cable Tray you have there... NICE!

I believe you are correct, with the only exception being a dedicated building just for the Solar PV equipment.
I agree with you and I also support the safety aspects of the Regs, at a reasonable price.

Yeah, I just might put my equipment in a shed I guess, instead of my garage.. but then I'll have to go through the dead grass to get to it and dust and polish everything instead of just stepping into my garage.

If I was to put in a breaker, what would be the appropriate size based on voltage and amps?
check these specs:
Open-circuit voltage (Voc)21.80V
Short-circuit current (Isc)11.47A
Maximum Series Fuse Rating15 A
Since you are putting 4 of them in series, the Voc would be ~88V, and Isc will still be 11.47A.

The breaker (of fuse) should be rated at least 100V... make that 500V because it is more common.
And fuse would be between 11.47A (Isc) and 15A (Maximum Series Fuse Rating). I suggests 15A (because it is more common than 12, 13 or 14A fuses)

I used fused disconnect between the PV and the SCC. In my system I run close to 25A and used 30A fuses, been running a long time now and never blew any. With breakers, you need to be aware of the over current that may be required to trip the breaker, some types may need considerable over current to trip. This was a concern to me, and I used fuses instead. So far I am happy with this, and don't see any nuisence failures.

Back