diy solar

diy solar

QCELL 480W bifacial back light only test

rhino

Solar Wizard
Just thought this was interesting simple test. These are 480W Q.PEAK DUO XL-G10. Had it laying flat yesterday sometime around noon and at 47.5°N latitude. I was somewhat surprised by the amount of shade from cables and tester still on panel and still got that result.
IMG_6040.jpg
IMG_6041.jpg

Yeah I did the same type test with one neighbor's Canadian Solar bifacial panel my little panel tester, and I was surprised how much output I got when the panel was face down against the ground.

I am thinking that the panel is also semi-transparent so some of the light is getting through and making output from all the cells (without me really knowing how these substrates or cells are layered together), that was my initial thought on it...

I did my test in August around high noon, and I was playing with all sorts of orientations and amazed at how the panel really performed well even vertically, or any angel really. Of course the Sun was very strong (straight above almost), so little angle through atmosphere.

I've tested other panels (not bifacial) at other hours of the day, and they typically they all do much better in midday where angle doesn't matter so much.. The best tests I've done where angle matters more are in morning or evening angles (obviously), which would also put Winter angles into that bucket.

Anyways, thanks for sharing, it is fun playing with panel testing...

I’ve got 12 of these exact same QCells panels on a ground mount.
160W from the back only? I believe it.

I’ve been putting down white nylon fabric under my arrays (5 ft off the ground).
How much it helps is debatable, but I see the white glare on the backs.
I guess i‘ll have to cover/uncover the backs to determine how much extra power i’m getting.
I’ll be happy with 50W each.

Back