diy solar

diy solar

Question - 400V output MPPT charge controller?

billvon

Making second life batteries work
Does anyone know of a 400V output MPPT charge controller? (i.e. one that takes a PV input and can charge a 400 volt battery)

The only ones I have heard of are:
-The StorEdge, but that requires a regulated input voltage from a string of SolarEdge optimizers
-The old Pika charge controller, but 1) it output to a 370V REbus and not a battery and 2) they don't make it any more anyway.

Anyone hear of an alternative to those?

Are you trying to charge a battery out of an EV by any chance? :)

I couldn't find any when I looked a year or so ago, but eventually managed to get a company I found on Alibaba to custom-make some for me. (It was not cheap, and I had to get 40 made. Not sure what to do with the rest...)

Searching for something else recently I stumbled across this, which looks similar:

Also, some All-in-one units assume a 400 V battery, not sure if they need some comms to make it work,
e.g. Sola-X X1-Hybrid HV, 85-400 V battery:

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 7.40.35 pm.png

I'm sure there are a lot more out there now...

Megarevo has one for 400V battery systems.

There are several more commercial solutions that utilize ~400V battery systems
https://oztekcorp.com/products/ - not sure if they make any All-in-ones though or just separate 400V battery inverters

I do wish there were some more units expecting series wired battery packs in the low cost space. They are handing ~500VDC from solar so it seems they have the high voltage electronics capable of supporting higher voltage battery packs. It sure would save on the very large wire sizes we have to deal with on 48V systems.

Back